Humanoid goes in a state of half playable half dead

1. On death, I am running a ragdoll script which works great. I am trying to keep the ragdoll when the player leaves, and the clothings. But, as you might expect with HUMANOIDS… there is an issue.

2. Whenever the player leaves, the ragdoll goes into this odd state. The exact same state found in this post. Which was given no solution, of course. The state is also entered if the player leaves but does not die.
    This is what the main part of the script looks like. It is very hacky, and there are many things in there I was just trying and did not work.

function RagDoll(character)
	if character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart") then
		local humanoid = character.Humanoid				
		local rig = humanoid.RigType
		local root = character.HumanoidRootPart
		root.Name = "HRPlol"
		root.Anchored = true
		root.CanCollide = false
        --Ragdoll stuff
    end
character.HRPlol.CollisionGroupId = math.random(100,1000)
end

local isDeadRan = false
player.CharacterRemoving:Connect(function(newChar)
	newChar.Archivable = true
	if isDeadRan == false then
		newChar:BreakJoints()
		RagDoll(newChar)
	end	
	local t = newChar:Clone()
	t.Humanoid.Health = 0
	t.Name = "Dead"..t.Name
	t.Parent = workspace
	for i,v in pairs(t:GetDescendants())do
		if v:IsA("Script") or v:IsA("LocalScript") or v:IsA("Motor") or v:IsA("Motor6D") or v:IsA("VelocityMotor") then
			v:Destroy()
		else
			if v:IsA("BasePart") then
				v.CanCollide = true
			end
		end
	end
	t.Humanoid:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Physics)
	t.Humanoid.RigType = Enum.HumanoidRigType.R6
end)

humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
	isDeadRan = true
	RagDoll(character)
end)

Speaking of things that did not work. Here is everything I’ve tried, that has failed, and produced no different result: Changing state to Physics in different areas of the script and then doing it repeatedly in a while loop, Changing HRP name, Changing humanoid to a R6 model, changing it back after a little. anchoring the hrp, moving the hrp to a different collision group, changing the model name, killing the humanoid, platform standing the humanoid, duplicating the character and parenting it to workspace, deleting the HRP, and probably some other things, but its been 6 months since this problem came along.

Will the humanoid masters, wherever you may be, please… help me.

1 Like

so i tried experimenting with your code and i found a problem that might not be the problem you described in the op. i turned on “Are Owners Shown” in studio settings to see if network replication is the problem, and it does seem to affect it

when the player leaves, the ragdoll is created and everything, but when the other player gets network ownership of the dead player’s body for some reason the motor6d’s are rebuilt, even though the server sees something completely different. i have no idea how this could be happening

humanoid gurus, where you at?

3 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for experimenting. I’m going to use this and see if I can come up with some hacky solution now. I will post when I find anything helpful.

2 Likes

I took a while because I was unable to start local servers. Anyway, I used what you discovered to make a test, and it provided great results.
The new code looks like this. What changed was setting the network owner to the server. Apparenty you can only do this on unanchored parts, and the name check for hrp didnt work, so i lazily wrapped it in a pcall, lol.

player.CharacterRemoving:Connect(function(newChar)
	newChar.Archivable = true
	local t = newChar:Clone()
	newChar.Archivable = false

t.Parent = workspace
	t.Name = "Dead"..t.Name
	for i,v in pairs(t:GetDescendants())do
		if v:IsA("Script") or v:IsA("LocalScript") or v:IsA("Motor") or v:IsA("Motor6D") or v:IsA("VelocityMotor") then
			v:Destroy()
		else
			if v:IsA("BasePart") and v.Name ~= "HumanoidRootPart" then
				v.CanCollide = true
				pcall(function()
					v:SetNetworkOwner()
				end)
			end
		end
	end
	if isDeadRan == false then
		t:BreakJoints()
		RagDoll(t)
	end	
end)

humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
	isDeadRan = true
	RagDoll(character)
end)

I have only tested it on a local server with one player, but I assume it would work with more.
It is not perfect yet, though, for it resets the ragdoll to the location of the HRP and then drops it.
@infranova I also tried setting network owner to server right on death. But this was in combination with the other network ownership call, both provided the same results, I know we are very close.

1 Like

i got it! it’s not the humanoid that’s causing the problems; it’s the humanoidrootpart! by deleting it from the corpse, these weird problems stop, without needing to mess with network ownership

here’s what i got in code (server script function connected to CharacterRemoving)

function createCorpse(oldChar)
	oldChar.Archivable = true
	local deadChar = oldChar:Clone()
	oldChar.Archivable = false

deadChar.Name = deadChar.Name.."'s corpse"

for _, desc in ipairs(deadChar:GetDescendants())do
		if desc:IsA("Script") or desc:IsA("LocalScript") then
			desc:Destroy()
		end
	end

local deadHRP = deadChar.HumanoidRootPart
	local deadHum = deadChar.Humanoid
	deadHRP:Destroy()

deadChar.Parent = workspace

toggleRagdoll(deadChar, true)
	deadHum:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Physics)

end
2 Likes

Im very excited to test this! But, how would you handle a player dying, and then leaving? When would you delete the HRP?

1 Like

Im gonna cry, oh god i already am, it works, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

2 Likes

to handle player death, i would just connect the humanoid Died event to your ragdoll function and everything should still keep working, at least to my tests

1 Like

Unfortunately, the provided solution only worked in a small environment. Once there were any more than 2 players, the bug continued with no difference.

2 Likes

some more experimenting later and i found a one line fix (hopefully). with it, i can’t reproduce the problem with 3 players.

https://streamable.com/6fyxvt

function createCorpse(oldChar)
	oldChar.Archivable = true
	local deadChar = oldChar:Clone()
	oldChar.Archivable = false

deadChar.Name = deadChar.Name.."'s corpse"

for _, desc in ipairs(deadChar:GetDescendants())do
		if desc:IsA("Script") or desc:IsA("LocalScript") then
			desc:Destroy()
		end
	end

local deadHRP = deadChar.HumanoidRootPart
	local deadHum = deadChar.Humanoid
	local deadHead = deadChar.Head

deadHRP:Destroy()
	deadChar.Parent = workspace
	toggleRagdoll(deadChar, true)

--this is the new line
	deadHead:GetRootPart():SetNetworkOwner(nil)

deadHum:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead)

end
1 Like

You also seemed to have changed the state type to dead instead of physics, is this intentional? Should you change it to physics? Will it work when the player dies first then leaves? Will it work With say 5 players?

1 Like

It seems to work with 2 players so I’m going to assume it just works. I will be back if it does not, until then a question on the web that has gone unanswered for years, is now settled!

2 Likes