I can't write data inside of an script and read it out

I have made a data store system, and then I encountered a problem that I can’t use the data I have loaded from the server.

I made a module script so that I can deal with it easier, I found out that the “t” table only changes when it’s inside of the “Write” function. So, after the write function is called. The read function read nothing from the t table.

I can’t really come up with a valid solution, I tried searching.

Maybe you are using require every time when you run

local module = {}

local t = {}

function module.write(data)
    t = data
end

function module.read()
    return t
end

module.write({"test"})

for index, value in next, t do
    print(index, value)
end

--[[
Output:
1	test
]]

Why do you need to do this process? you just do something like this:

local module = {}

function module:new()
	local self = {}

return self
end

return module

You can read the content and write at the same time. Also if you really want this approach you will need a key.

local module = {}

local t = {}

function module.write(key, value)
	if typeof(key) == "string" then
		t[key] = value
	elseif typeof(key) == "number" then
		table.insert(t, value)
	else
		warn("Invalid key!")
	end
end

function module.read()
	return t
end

return module

I loaded the whole data when the player joins the game, the main script and this one are on the clientside. So, this script is work as a storage in the client side.

If so then you can just use this:

Since this works the same way this is local sided:

local module = require(...)
local newData = module:new()

newData["test"] = "test"

print(newData)
--[[
["test"] = "test"
]]

The one that you made is not since that would update everytime you call the module.write if its in the server.

So, this works the same as the write function?

1 Like

Yes this is called a class in other programming language, in lua’s case it uses table as class, lua’s table can be everything that other programming language does not list, tuple, dictionary, even math is a table math.sin, math.floor, etc..

Still, nothing has written in.

The first time ‘require’ is called on a ModuleScript, its contents are executed and the value it returns is returned by the require function, this returned value is cached. If the same ModuleScript is further required, instead of its contents being re-executed the cached value is simply returned by the require function. ModuleScripts that return a table value return a reference to that table value (as tables are immutable).