I found another way to make water

Love the idea, I alway have lived the idea of making a sort of slideshow of images with 3d models. It’s been done with 2d, though I have not seen much 3d. Right now as a small patch it’s fine, but imagine if you make it massive, to cover a whole island per day, and in that island you have different lakes of different elevation. Then it begin to lag.

1 Like

Good job, but, if you want to work on a much scalable one. You might want to make it generated by script only, without pre-made mesh, that way it won’t be as labor intensive as this method.

1 Like

it dosnt lag thats the thing :wink:

take a look what i did on a larger scale zachary108181's Place Number: 471 - Roblox

Still runs fine on the larger version.

1 Like

yep, I do good when it comes to reducing lag B)

I’ve been trying this method with lots of things, to achieve smooth motion you need at least 20 meshes and you want to swap them out about ever 0.1 seconds… I have some lava doing something similar and its has 40 meshes that change every 0.05 seconds, it also has 40 different textures, it has very little impact on performance - as all the meshes are preloaded, it does increase the loading time tho (i think this is how roblox operates). Also I’d advise keeping the polycount as low as possible, but that’s true for everything XD Also use a separate collision object as this is what will drain performance

and it only uses 12 meshes lol :wink:

Yeah i did read that bit, all i mean is you can happily double that number, make the animation twice as smooth and as long as its low poly and we arent checking the collision - basically suffer no performance loss…

Well I’m planning on making a a sea of thieves type game so that’s why the water animation is so rough and choppy

1 Like

Ngl, if you import this as a plugin, it could also be used for grass terrain if you upgrade it. Creative indeed.

1 Like

oh not a bad idea, it will take time but i could do that.

well, up to you, so was this some mesh, or you scripted some texture that resulted in this?

1 Like

Its 12 meshes and one script that animates it (it also uses mesh deformation)

ohh that makes sense, modelers do use deformation for terrain maps, big brain for you

1 Like

lol tbh I wasn’t using my brain when making this, I stumbled on it when I was messing around this is the game btw zachary108181's Place Number: 471 - Roblox

ye I see, if you look from up, each mesh deforms more and than repeat, looks nice from far away

1 Like

yeah I noticed that as well, I’m trying to fix it at the moment.

I cannot wait for that! I would love a game like that in Roblox!

1 Like

same i would love if my pc could allow me to run studio atm without spazzing out

1 Like