I’m looking to re-do this! What can I do to improve?

About a year ago, I built this floating island in blender. I’m looking to improve it the second time around as I want to rebuild it. What can/ should I do to improve the second time around. I do understand the graphics are a little blurry so I’m going to improve that. Feel free to be mean and harsh haha!

:smile:

5 Likes

For some reason. It looks like there is noise everywhere on the picture(s) (Perlin Noise). Is it just particles in the game, Or bad graphics somewhere?

1 Like

Looks a bit like claymation. You might have the start of an interesting niche game if you run with that. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Rush_X,

The first thing that comes to mind is the grass/forest terrain. You have a fair amount of decor, which fills the green-space, so-to-speak, but you would benefit from using incline/decline or having the ground consist of different materials like dirt, gravel, sand, etc.

I know this is a forested area but perhaps you could add some rows of plowed dirt to represent land used for crops. Additionally, I see there’s a well, but you could have a small pond or something purely decorative.

You can add road signs or lantern poles near the road as well for lighting, as a home would have torches or lanterns to illuminate the area.

2 Likes

I did not understand how to render at the time haha.

1 Like

In my opinion, that dosent look like smoke, it looks like a rock (no offense). Make the smoke more spaced out.

3 Likes

To me all the wooden items (tree trunks, sticks, the log) look slightly bloated. They feel to wide. Maybe make them thinner. And don’t embed the stick window frame into the house.

2 Likes

Just wait a few minutes to get an high render.

1 Like

Actually, if you leave it at the default settings, in the “Rendered Mode” it only renders up to 32 samples (which is not super high quality). You would have to change settings to get higher sample rates which he wouldn’t know at the time.

But (I believe) he knows now so let’s hope his floating island remake produces some crisp renders!

2 Likes

That’s a really cool building style good job, here are some ideas:

• The door height isn’t scaled to the character properly, I’m not sure if that was done on purpose for some reason.

• The smoke could be a more rounder puffy like shape.

45%20am

• Some extra little items you could place around an area like this are maybe a chair in the front yard or a lantern somewhere(maybe hanging off of the house or ontop of a box infront of the house.) or a sign like this that shows where the paths lead to:
    37%20am

• The axe looks a little off to me.

36%20am

Other than that it looks great with or without those suggestions. Good job :+1:.

1 Like

The main thing that needs fixing in my opinion is the overall aesthetic; it looks kind of like everything is made of really crumpled paper that refuses to stay level (e.g. look at the path). If you want it to be cleaner and more organised, I would suggest making it all level and uniform.

Another area where it looks like weirdly crumpled paper are the windowframes:

1 Like

That’s part of the style. :smile:

1 Like

I really like the style of this. You did great on it.

1 Like

I think the colours could be more realistic, the thatched roof could be a dirtier yellow with different textures, the grass could be 3D with a darker colour. The overall improvements in my view are realism.

1 Like