I made a huge mistake on my game [Datastore]

So I made a game and made it public around 18 days ago.
In that game , I use a simple Datastore which saves what needed to be save.
the problem is , my ‘key’ on the save is based on Player Name and not User ID. For example ,
‘Slot1_danielkaya’.

I never think of “what if a player changed their name?” until today , somebody personally contact me about this. They wanted me to transfer their ‘old name save’ to their ‘new name save’ which I have no idea how to do.

Have any of you guys have any idea how I can solve this?
I’m also using this https://www.roblox.com/library/701506235/DataStore-Editor best plugin for Datastore editing/visualization I’ve ever found.

I regret not using the Player’s User ID at first . Now that the game have many and many concurrent player which is impossible for me to change the Datastore keys without making the player angry for data-reset.

If there is no other ways , I hope none of you guys ever do my mistake.

Welp you’re screwed. But what you can do for now is when a player joins get their current data and save that to the key with their ID.

local KEY_PREFIX = "Slot1_"

Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
    local old_key = KEY_PREFIX .. player.Name
    local new_key = KEY_PREFIX .. player.UserId

local old_data = data_store:GetAsync(old_key)

if old_data ~= nil then
        data_store:SetAsync(new_key, old_data)
    end
end)

That is just very rough code, you should still do good examples like wrapping these requests in pcall but that is just an example.

Might wanna keep that for about 2 weeks-1 month max for recovery time.

1 Like
game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)

local name = player.Name;
  local id = player.UserId;

local nameData = 'Slot1_' .. name;
  local idData = 'Slot1_' .. id;

--load the data store using <idData> as the key. If it is empty, load the data store using <nameData>.
  --this will get a users data if they haven't changed their name

--When it comes to saving the players data, save it using <idData> as the key.

--If you have a user contact you about losing their data, ask for their old username and move over their data to the <idData> key using the data store plugin you've got.

end)
1 Like

Thanks , I completely understand both of replies I got :smile: