I need some advice

So about a week ago I got asked to do a large scripting commission and was offered a payment in USD. I have completed all the things he asked me to do and I asked for the payment but he said that he doesn’t have any money and is going to pay me with the money earned from the game. Since then he has been asking me to do a lot more things. The guy has been working on the game for about 3 years now and has 10 developers on his team right now and is planning on releasing sometime next week. The thing is I talked with someone in his server claiming they were scammed but they couldn’t provide any evidence. What should I do? Should I refuse to continue working on the game until I get payed? Should I carry on working hoping I’ll get payed? Keeping in mind that I have been working directly on the game and anything I do he can just revert the game to an older version.

2 Likes

Did he say when he would pay you? If he did then you should wait until then, remind him, and if you don’t get paid then forget about helping him. If he didn’t give you a date/time, however, I suggest you wait until he decides to release the game and if you’re not paid by then, remind him, and if you’re still not paid then forget about helping him. After that, it’s your choice what you decide to do to/about him.

Well he said he will pay me with the money earned from the game so I’m assuming he will pay me when the game earns enough money, if it makes any money at all. The problem with this is that the game might not make enough money ofc but also it’ll take about 3-4 weeks from the release day for players to find the game, buy developer products, for the robux to go through to the group (it’ll probably be pending for about a week) and a week for him to devex it. If it’s a scam then he can make me do a lot of work in 3-4 weeks. Should I refuse to do any extra work until he pays me for the original commission?

Yeah I think you should. Or atleast, that’s what I would do. If I don’t get at least some proof that the payment is legit I’m not helping with the game any further. If he doesn’t agree then I’m dropping his game. It’s as simple as that. For me.

I’m just saying that’s what I would do. If I were in your situation.

Yeah but if I left then what would I do with all the assets I created? As I said, I have been working directly on the game and if I decide to take the assets I made then he could just revert the game to a previous version. I’ve spent about 20 hours creating all the scripts and don’t want all that work to just go down the drain.

And how about the rest of the development team, are they aware of this issue going on right now ? Or did they get paid ?

I have no idea, I haven’t talked to them but I’m assuming they’re getting paid the same way. As I said in the post there was one guy in the discord server that was claiming he got scammed but couldn’t provide any proof.

I would suggest you to talk to the rest of the development team in secret, without the contractor knowing.

If they’re not getting paid aswell, all of you should confront the owner at once asking him about the pay and what he plans to do if the game flops, and i’m pretty sure the pressure would get the best of him, nobody would want to lose 3 years of progress.

But, once again this is just my opinion. I wish you the best of luck.

I did confront him myself about what if the game flops but he was overconfident that the game won’t flop because he’s got lot’s of connections with popular people and can get it a lot of advertising. I’m not sure whether or not I should believe him. I will talk to te rest of the development team and see if they have been paid

It seems dodgy and suspicious someone would do that, I would not want your work to go to waste so I recommend waiting.

I’ve talked with the dev team and except for one person who got a small amount for the logo, no one got paid yet.

So it’s pretty obvious that something fishy is going on. As i said before, try to convince everyone to go confront the owner all at once, and hopefully you guys will get a great deal out of it.

This is the incorrect use of #help-and-feedback:scripting-support, for topics like this go to #lounge:roblox-discussion or anything related to said topic.

Scripting support is for assistance with your code.

This is an scam.

Copy the game(Publish it as your own) to save the work, take all the evidence you got, cut all contact with her and raport him to roblox.