I remade my RTS game - can you help me with some feedback?

Ah cool, there’s a new category for these sort of things :smiley:

Oh. Hi there! Right, let’s get to what you clicked this post for.

Game Page

The Journey

Development Lore

A year and a half ago, I made an untitled RTS game with its working name, ‘Untitled RTS Game’

It gained a lot of positive feedback, so I continued working on it, eventually settling on the name ‘Faction and Order’.

As with all first attempts, the codebase was badly organized, and after a 5-month hiatus due to life reasons, I forgot most of the codebase. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, I refactored the entire game, which will fix the old bugs, but no doubt will breed new breeds of bugs.

With this, I thought I should see what you think of the game. : D
(and possibly help me with bug hunting : / )

Game Lore
  • Basically you command a faction.
  • I don’t have a full-fledged lore but the general theme is:

In a future, a used-to-be-united faction disunites into smaller factions and now fight each other for energy-matters.

Intention

• tl;dr I made a game and I’d like some feedback, I’d really appreciate your input. :^)

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

At first glance, the overlook seems good, so you’ve caught my eye.

Regarding the background of your loading screen, I’d add something to fill the void that is the baseplate. Though the GUIs themselves look mostly adequate and appealing.

Upon opening the matchmaking menu, I have a few comments.

Firstly, this chain texture with your GUI, while it looks nice, I wouldn’t really place it everywhere. Perhaps leave it on the buttons, or just try to make a distinction in each area with the chain texture.

Secondly, some formatting issues with your text, while mild, I still like to point out if you would like to polish them.

Lastly, regarding your buttons, at least with your text size, they seem a bit too wide. So, I’d either increase the text size, or lessen the width of the button.

Upon creating your match, the premise of it all seems fine, but the only thing that bothers me here is the multiple repeating images here.

Evidently, upon trying to play the game, that you’ve experienced alongside me, the game wouldn’t actually properly load.

I’ll work forward to continue seeking out any design flaw or bugs that I could point out to help your development.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for all these! :smiley:

Luckily, I managed to fix this quickly, it was caused by the real game’s destination place ID using the test game’s destination place ID

Oh whoops, definitely unintended… I’ll fix this later since I got to go for now.

Weirdly it doesn’t happen on my screen though, so thanks for pointing this out!

The text formatting is quite tricky - using multi-line string [[ like this ]]is easier on the eye in the code editor but causes this… the single-line string "like this" does fix this problem, but it’s hard to read in the code editor : /

For the chain texture, alright, I’ll take it into consideration.

I’m thinking of putting one of the game maps into the lobby but the way I made the maps requires me to write some code so I’ll try to do that later.

For now, I got to go.

1 Like

I spawned to an empty baseplate. Is your game mobile supported?

1 Like

Hmm, odd that the menu doesn’t show in mobile.

I did think of mobile support somewhere in development but couldn’t figure out how to do drag controls without removing the original ‘drag to pan camera’ control…

Thus game is not built with mobile in mind… sorry! :^(

1 Like

I can play on my pic.

Thanks for helping me!

1 Like