Idea to combat very old in-active accounts

You know that really cool account/name you’ve always wanted?

E.g. http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?id=48070

What if a player hasn’t logged on to the site for 3 years they’d get an email from ROBLOX with one of those ‘Hey, come back to ROBLOX you haven’t been on for a while, we miss you’ something like this I guess (of course it would be a lot different)

Remind them about all the friends they have and items and perhaps show some popular new games at the bottom.

Once they have got this ‘Warning’ type email maybe somewhere in it the email will state ‘If you do not log in soon, we will have to release your username!’

6 months later if they have still not logged into there account another email will be sent something like;
‘Sorry we had to release your username due to a long in-activity period on your account. You can still login using your email address but you will need to pick a new username. Your account will be the same and all your friends and items will remain’

Saying my username is Bob, if it get’s released my new ‘temporary’ username would simply be a lot of numbers 0000001361 until I decide to log back in and bring life to the account again.

If they have no items and builderman is their only friend/no friends perhaps the account would just close all together (well what are they going to lose? They don’t have nothing anyway)

There is already a problem I know that some users will not have entered an email sadly that is a con of this :frowning:

1 Like

What about those who have made games that still get visited but haven’t logged in? Those users would lose their identity and lose visits as a result.
Personally I find games by username more than by game name due to “tags” that people put into their description.
May also lead to more inappropriate usernames becoming active again.

2 Likes

[quote] What about those who have made games that still get visited but haven’t logged in? Those users would lose their identity and lose visits as a result.
Personally I find games by username more than by game name due to “tags” that people put into their description.
May also lead to more inappropriate usernames becoming active again. [/quote]
Perhaps if you had 100 visits it would take 5 years? (which is a hell of a long time) and if you have over 50,000 visits then this would take no effect.

I don’t think it would lead to more inappropriate usernames becoming active as most of them are banned (if they are banned/deleted this won’t apply)

Not only that, you can’t make a username with un-acceptable words in;

Now there is a few ways to get around it but you can still report usernames for being in-appropriate (and if moderation action is taken on it, maybe it’s added to a ‘do not allow’ list)

This should only affect accounts who have less than one day of total login time. Releasing legitimate accounts is a bad idea.

Pros:

• Squatters get to squat

Cons:

• Identities are put at risk
  • Trust in preservation and integrity of user data is reduced
  • Must design, implement, and support infrastructure for a feature that only benefits squatters

One day is nothing, I think logging in for 30/60 different days would be a better approach.

One day is nothing, I think logging in for 30/60 different days would be a better approach.[/quote]

I meant being logged in a total of one day, which would normally take a week or two of regular activity to complete. Accounts that were sniped and forgotten would be released since they wouldn’t have been logged in for 24 total hours.

Runescape releases usernames after a few years. I remember it happened to one of my old accounts I hadn’t logged into for like five years.

I don’t see how it is a bad idea at all.

I totally wish they’d release usernames, there are so many unique names I’ve wanted (I collect, and yes, I use all my alts and keep good records of the ones I own), and this would also prevent you from seeing people like ‘pok3monfan9732’ in every server in roblox, as they would actually have some decent names to pick from