Ideas/support on better building

Hello, my username is HelferichHeidenreick, former L_Forrester.

I have been practicing building lately and just can’t seem to get a grasp on it in many ways.

Here is a list of some things I am hoping to get input on.
-I use .25 on move and 22.5 on rotation, are those good?
-I sometimes have problems with certain things not lining up, like when I make kits so I can build things easier they don’t always like to line up even though they where build on same studs.
-I have a hard time immersing myself in builds and have a hard time getting the grasp of how to detail certain things such as houses, forts, and all around nature.
-I am wondering how you guys plan out your builds, sometimes I like to floor plan or make plans in adobe photoshop/illustrator and then place it as a decal.

I may have other questions later on but for now this is what I have, I hope to get some useful feedback.

4 Likes
  1. I use 0.2/0.1/0.05 for builds and 5 degrees for rotation. It’s more accurate.
  2. It could be that you either rotated it or the .25 isn’t accurate enough for the parts to align.
  3. Research. Walk around showcases/look at irl pictures on how the details look like and simply try to recreate. Do that in a loop until you find your style.
  4. I don’t usually plan my builds. They always come as a moment of inspiration. I only plan when I’m working for someone else.
3 Likes

Thanks, I will try that.

I think your right on rotating. I will try your measurements, they seem better for detailing anyways.

1 Like

Q:

A:
I use 45/90º rotation stud, but only when I am trying to fully rotate an object. I mainly use:

• 15º
  • 10º

For my movement stud, I mainly use:

• .4º
  • .2º
  • .1º
  • .05º (minimum)

Q:

A:

1. I believe going lower than the increments I use (including rotating and movement stud) will result in inconsistency and undesired asymmetry.

2. Preferably highlight both objects at once (cmd/ctrl + click), then move or rotate the objects to avoid undesired asymmetry.

3. Simply use this plugin to align parts on their axis’.

Q:

A:

• You may need to scrap some ideas, styles or projects.
  • You may also want to experiment with different styles.

Q:

A:
This may not be directly answering your question, but read this post to help.

4 Likes

Here is a list of some things I am hoping to get input on.
-I use .25 on move and 22.5 on rotation, are those good?
There’s no one good set of moving increments and rotation increments, it really depends on what you need at the time. For small models that are highly detailed, you can go down to .025 if you really wanted, and for rotation you could use 5. It’s a mix of personal preference and what you require at that time. Most builders use multiple moving increments in their maps.
-I sometimes have problems with certain things not lining up, like when I make kits so I can build things easier they don’t always like to line up even though they where build on same studs.
That’s a common issue that happens with all increments and rotation increments, if you want to fix it you’ll have to do it manually, or if you get desperate you can negate the part that’s sticking out away. Manually fixing it is probably the better way to go though.
-I have a hard time immersing myself in builds and have a hard time getting the grasp of how to detail certain things such as houses, forts, and all around nature.
When you have an idea that you really like and really really want to make, it immerses you by itself. For details like the houses, forts, and the nature, you should run around your place and see what parts look empty, and then you can add what makes sense to be there. For example, a small village, abandoned fort, and whatever else might be necessary for the map.

Plus, you could also ask us for feedback :slight_smile:

-I am wondering how you guys plan out your builds, sometimes I like to floor plan or make plans in adobe photoshop/illustrator and then place it as a decal.
Planning is more of a personal thing as well, I don’t do it much myself and mostly just build what comes to mind. My planning comes in the form of hours and hours of brainstorming and thinking, “Woah, that sounds cool!”.

2 Likes

There’s no exact amount of increment to make your build look ideal. In fact, it’s all those combinations of 0.2, 0.01, 0.05, and other increments that can make your building look groovy. The increment even goes up to 3 decimal digits for a much better detail. This is why, changing your increment for both rotation and move tool, also answers your second question.

If you have a hard time finding ideas, go search for the image. You can find many things there, and try to reference your building from it. This means that you can attempt to develop models based on images, then after doing that for a few times, you’ll get the hang of it.

That’s great if you like planning, it’s one of the keys into launching a front-page game. At least that’s what most top-tier developers do. For me, a plan is best when it’s drawn, so start with out with a paper, think all of elements that you would put in the game, and just write things down. Look at here for more ideas about planning out a game.

If you’re relatively new to building in Roblox, I suggest you read this thread:

1 Like

For me, I look at a picture and try to build it. This post about planing build can help you!

1 Like

I think most of the time it depends on the person and what works for you. I get a lot inspiration for my builds from pictures. For example if I wanna build a older Victorian house, I will look them up and spend a little bit of time looking through some pictures. If I’m making a map or something where there is going to be a lot of smaller items, I will usually just a piece of paper and sketch it out, I’m not very good at drawing but it works to get a general idea for it.

I think for most things, practise is the best way to get better at something and that definitely applies to building. Just spend some time trying different things and you will see yourself improving. Good luck on future builds! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Helferich!

I remember when I first started and was asking the same questions!

Here’s my process:
I’d do denominations of: 1.00, 0.20, and 0.05 for general building.

However! I HIGHLY encourage you to pick up Stravant’s resize align plugin.

This plugin will do the math and scaling for you, you’d simply click on the two faces you want to connect and they’ll snap together with precision.

This will not only greatly improve your workflow, but give you more energy to execute your vision rather than getting frustrated with semantics.

Example: https://gyazo.com/3630a419851f2218f0212633d1d9e03f

(Notice how they connect exactly no matter how remote or irregular the angle is)

Edit: Plugin can be found here:

https://www.roblox.com/library/165534573/Stravant-ResizeAlign-Fixed

2 Likes

Here’s some tips I’ve learnt in my process of building.
Stud move:

• 0.25 For low-poly and simple work
  • 0.1 For detailed work
  • 0.05 For details and for showcase work.

Rotation:

• 0 For nature placement (you want to keep it random)
  • 5 For roofs, I use a certain method to make tiles Diesofts roof style
  • 7.5 Normally, it works in a good increment for most of my builds.

My building learning:

Building isn’t something you can force yourself to learn, it comes to you over time through trial and error. Looking closely and analysing details and architecture helped me to progress as a better and better builder. I also highly recommend trying absolutely everything! many people learn as developers to learn 1 aspect, but learning many aspects can culminate together and helps improve your building ability and diversity.

Another thing is that I never plan my builds, but I always research what I’m making if it’s a villa I look at photos of villas to help understand details and architecture. I also do this with nature, for example, if you want to make a realistic setting in Montana in the US you need to know that Ponderosa Pines are the primary plant there. This method works for me and I believe it works for others too as it lets your creativity and imagination take control.

My favourite plugins for building:

Studio Build Suite @Fractality
Waterfall Generator @woot3
Part to Terrain @Fastcar48
Material Flip @stravant and the next 2
Resize Align Tool
Gap fill
Terrain Save and Load @Crazyman32
Model Brush Tool @XAXA

I’d also recommend looking at specific builders and developers that inspire you, this can help you get an idea for what you want to build and can give you a resource to learn from.

Good luck with your building and I look forward to seeing what you can make in the future!
Hope you have a great day!

6 Likes

Rule of thumb for increments:

• Start at 1 stud and 90 deg
  • If it needs to be smaller, halve the increment
  • If it needs to be larger, double the increment

This makes everything fit together pretty well. Makes it so you’re working on a consistent scale and don’t have to memorize numbers.

If you use SBS, 2 halves the increment and 3 doubles the increment.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your ideas and tips, I have been trying some things a lot of you suggested and noticed that I am having more symmetry now, less alignment issues, and a bit easier of a time planning my builds. Once again, thanks for all the ideas.