Image property drop-down uploader freezes studio for ages

The image asset-uploader is a convenient tool to directly upload textures to assets, or to select already uploaded textures. Works really well in the beginning when there aren’t a lot of images to load, but when you have many images uploaded using the direct image uploader, it halts focusing on that property until all has loaded, which can take ages.

Here’s a gif to display

Intended behaviour in this case would atleast to get focus on the property immediately so that you can change values etc, instead of waiting for the drop-down to load in. It happens 100% of the time if you have enough assets uploaded through that pop-up.

8 Likes

Yeah this is very tedious.

This bug has been around for probably 2 years now too, ever since the Game asset uploader in Studio was introduced.

This feature should be removed to be entirely honest.

It’s not really that convenient in my opinion, even if it didn’t hang Studio for 10 minutes, it’d still be useless since you can copy and paste the asset ids from the game explorer.

If you have lots of images uploaded to your game, you will face serious loading times when attempting to change the image property. I’m assuming this is caused by the image dropdown interface rendering all the images in the game. (I personally don’t even use it, so it has been a huge productivity/QOL issue for me.)

It takes up to 3 seconds to load sometimes, completely halting Studio in the meantime. This happens everytime, on both macos+windows. This has been happening since I started using the Game Explorer to host my game assets, 3 months ago.

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting this to us. I can replicate the problem, and will work on getting a fix through.

3 Likes

@MasterOfTheElements Do you know if this is still an issue? Having problems reproducing at the moment.

How many images would you say need to be uploaded for this behavior to start happening?

Attempting to reproduce it in the same game as the original gif is from leads to no freezing and no delay so I’m assuming it’s no longer the case. I’m assuming the freezing was related to loading all the images in the dropdown, as it’s butter-smooth now but without showing the images themselves.

2 Likes