ImageLabel Slice

I’ve been trying to recreate this effect for ages, but have never been able to figure out how to cut the inner circle off so it doesn’t fill over the edges of the frame (like this)

https://i.imgur.com/tzSMRLF.gifv

Someone had told me to “use slice”, but I can’t seem to figure out how it works. Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

I think for something like this, you’re better off with using a circle set to crop and then having the parent object being set to “ClipDescendents.”

To my knowledge, Slicing is really only used for Sprite Sheets and custom corners on UI elements.

2 Likes

It actually does overfill the frame. The bevel on the corners is only a total 3 pixels with only one of those pixels being being entirely transparent. As long as you do not make your bevels very large and keep the effect relatively transparent it is pretty much unnoticeable till you get to the point where you are counting pixels

2 Likes

I’m working on a material ui library atm, and afaik, there’s no way to do stop it overlapping the border radius.

one option i can suggest is creating the inverse image of the button (so an image with just the corners filled), and placing that over the button so the ripple is between the two layers, but obviously this would only work if you have the button on a background with a solid colour.

5 Likes

Do you mean the general effect, like this square button, or rounded corners like the others are talking about?

If roblox supported multiplicative image blending it could be fixed by using a white version of the button bc it would multiply its alpha channels

2 Likes

I’ve already created the ripple effect

Thanks for the great suggestion, I finally have a round button that works with my ripple effect! https://i.imgur.com/qKfxjF4.gifv

3 Likes

no problem. glad it works for you. just a shame we can’t do masking yet because that’d be so much better for transparent or textured backgrounds

1 Like

a blend mode option would probably be more useful though imo because you can create filters and effects that use stuff like Screen or Multiply or Subtract blending instead of the default Mix/Blend and since the alpha channels come into play too (if toggled) it can be used for masking also

1 Like

There’s no easy way to avoid this one. You can definitely (ab)use clip descendants to do this, but at the cost of multiple frames and a lot of extra math. I don’t think this is worth.

2 Likes