Images are really blurry

I have recently come across a problem that is quite annoying and problematic.

When I upload images to a UV mapped model on Team Create, this is what it looks like.

I spoke to the maker of this skin, @Mah_Bucket about this, and he said it looks like this on his computer.

This is obviously quite a big difference, as I am unable to test out skins correctly and efficiently. My computer is perfectly capable of running Roblox and Roblox Studio fine, so I don’t know why the images are so blurry. I also copied MahBucket’s complete studio settings, but it didn’t do anything.

I would appreciate help ASAP, as it’s quite urgent, as we are launching the game this month.

My PC specs:

AMD A8-6410
Radeon R5 M230
8GB RAM

3 Likes

Hmm, I had something like this a while ago:
Shirts and pants are blurry? :confused:
Hope you get it sorted!

Thanks!

Had a quick read through the post, and took a screenshot of the CTRL + SHIFT + F2 panel.

Any ideas? @zeuxcg

Okay. So this has been a pretty common thing on ROBLOX probably since texturing and imagery was first introduced in 2007.

The game engine will determine what the graphic and processing specs of your computer are, and basically determine whether is wants things to look bad and run smooth, or look good and run smooth (depending on which is possible).

This is common with clothing templates, decals, and all-around textures, and is often not affected by the 1-10 graphics slider in-game.

I do not experience this on my current computer, which is custom built by myself specifically for gaming. It’s not a behemoth but it works nicely.

On my laptop however, which is a cheap HP that I picked up somewhere along the way, most if not all textures will show up distorted and in very low quality. A REALLY good example is with the clothing templates and it’s folds, roblox characters will have white or whatever color marks essentially outlining each limb of the character; this is because the template is so disconfigured that the folds don’t appear within the proper areas, because it’s been overpixelated or whatever.

This is likely the case, my friend also experiences this on iPad when she noted my uniforms all had white outlines, this was caused by my new background image for my templates that have white outlines around each limb - outlines that are not mapped to the roblox character, but rather border it.

This could be the case, I don’t know; it hasn’t been controllable in my experience but for me it’s rare because I never use poor machines for games.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Not really sure what this is about. We don’t do anything with the textures that aren’t on humanoids (and this isn’t on a humanoid) unless you are using a very old GPU (which you aren’t).

Can you upload a model with this part?

Alright, I’ll send that today.

Just to confirm, I am running the latest version of Roblox Studio, I have the newest graphics card update, and I am running the latest version of Windows 10.

The blurry shirts and pants were fixed by adjusting a setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I don’t remember it well, but I think I changed “Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias” to Allow. If this is the same problem, then it’ll probably fix the blurry textures too.

It could be a different setting, I dunno.

2 Likes

Similar solution: ImageLabels and ImageButtons always very blurry

Interesting. That does sound similar to the problem described here. I’m not sure what exactly the driver does to our textures but it can’t be good.

The only the thing about that is that Catalyst control centre doesn’t exist anymore.

1 Like

Looks like it was replaced by Crimson in late 2015, right after I switched to nvidia

I hope it still has the same functionality!

Sadly it doesn’t. Tried it and it made roblox worse.

I’m downloading an archived Catalyst Control Center, hopefully it works.

Here is the model.

plane skin.rbxmx (18.1 KB)

Just wanted to show you that Radeon Settings do not work well with Roblox. I turned up all the settings to the max, but the quality took a completely different turn. Look at the player list for example.

Before:

After (Help):

So I’m not really sure how the texture is rendered in the original screenshot. The screenshot you have now makes total sense to me - it’s using the image rbxassetid://602020725 which I’m attaching - which is 420x420 and really blurry.

As a side note, it uses the UV space really inefficiently - it could be a tenth of the size with the same quality…

foo.png

1 Like

Yeah, ugh. Don’t change driver settings (also “what the hell are they doing in the driver” is a valid question)

1 Like

Thanks so much Zeux!

The image wasn’t uploaded in 420x420 resolution though, as the skin itself is 840x840. My hunch is that Roblox scaled it down.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.