Improve the Terrain Manipulation Tools

As a ROBLOX Developer, it’s currently too hard to create a game using smooth terrain. Terrain tools are not effective enough, and cause developers to waste precious time figuring out ways to make their terrain look how they want, while also working on the game. Here’s how I’d say we fix this:

New tools

• heightmap importer
    New tools would fix all of our problems. At the moment, we have a small selection of basic tools we can use for editing terrain, but they are nowhere near the scale they need to operate at to fulfill the dreams of developers. For instance, it is extremely hard to make terrain based on a sketched out image. Third Party plugins are needed to create a heightmap, import the map, then convert all the thousands of parts to terrain. All this takes time, when roblox knows d*** well that they could easily implement a heightmap importer. The importer would probably be the number one request on this list overall, because if roblox tools aren’t up-to-snuff, we could resort to L3DT or a 3rd party app to edit our height maps.

• Y-Axis Brush
    Building roads and integrating ground-layer parts into terrain is a pain in the bass. Roads are almost not an option because the terrain rotates parts randomly when you drag. Also, because of the general nature of terrain, the ground is not smooth. This can lead to problems like a higher part count and a less immersive experience. I had to make my entire roadway system an elevated highway because it’s insanely difficult to place parts on terrain, despite the fact that it was a heightmap. It’s sad that this isn’t a thing already

• Custom Materials
    Perhaps the most essential part of a terrain is the way it looks to the player. If the terrain supported custom specular, diffuse, and normal maps made by developers, it would open the door to truly beautiful scenery. An expansion on this idea is to have layered materials, so, for instance, 50% transparency of grass on top of 50% transparency Dirt. Of course, the ROBLOX defaults would still be there, so any developers who don’t want to go through the trouble of creating their own textures could use ROBLOX defaults or another developer’s released presets.

• “Fill” bucket tool
    This is another one that is sadly not implemented yet. Making water ponds and oceans shouldn’t require third party part-terrain converters or plugins. Not only this, but in the event that the bottom terrain is uneven, most Part-to-Terrain converters don’t check underneath the brick to see if it’s intersecting another cell, so the cell will be replaced. I, personally, wouldn’t tolerate this. I’d use the Regions tool, but the selection range doesn’t go higher than 2048, so I can’t use it to fill water easily. Not only can the fill bucket fill in materials but also textures. Textures are impossibly hard to paint across an entire terrain, and most users don’t know how to script the textures in. But it’s OK because we have the paintbrush tool, right? well… The brush’s max. brush size is not that big, and it lags a lot when painting. It’s tough to even paint a small area with that thing.

I haven’t thought about how Part-Terrain integration could be improved, but sometimes the game quality is determined based on what’s on the terrain, not the terrain itself. The terrain doesn’t allow for easy integration of parts, so it’s very hard for us devs to make cool things with it. This is also a large reason why I wanted my

"Road" Instance implemented (New Road Creation Tools).

I really hope to see all these ideas implemented into the terrain at some point. Thanks!

POLL:

• I like all of the ideas in this post
  • I liked some of the ideas in this post
  • I didn’t like any ideas in this post

0 voters

14 Likes

I’m just going to go ahead and bump this as it’s something I support & feel should be implemented. :smiley:

I think a way to improve upon this, is to allow Smooth Terrain to have sharp edges, especially with the current Rock material, which just looks horrible when you try to make mountains or cliff-faces. There should also be a “modeling” aspect to the terrain editor. Instead of being limited to sculpting, there should be any option to take the vertices of a terrain cell - sort of like the resize tool, but more or less like the Edit mode in Blender, where you can move one vertex at a time.

4 Likes

The smooth terrain tools are one of the most used and important parts of Roblox studio, allowing any user or developer to create smooth and realistic landscapes with a few clicks. However, for many developers who custom make their games, there is much more dexterity and hands-on work with the process. Currently, there are 8 tools in the smooth terrain creation; Generate, add, subtract, paint, grow, erode, smooth and regions. Apart from generating the majority of these are used to help create custom landscapes by developers, however, although they are very useful I (and others) feel as though there could be some new features and tools as well as some additions to old ones.

Idea 1: The raise/lower tool

I feel that the grow tool is useful up to a point, it can only grow spheres or cubes, and can only do so in a fairly linear way. My ideas for a raise/lower tool would be that using a cylindrical or square shape you can physically raise the terrain to make it look something like this:

The intensity and height would be in the settings so it can be to a desired radius/size and height. This tool would make the creation of large areas of terrain more feasible rather than having to grow individual strands of terrain.

Idea 2: Ocean and Lake Tool

Placing water as many knows can be very difficult, often the creation of it through a region or plugin results in the terrain below being removed meaning that the developer has to re-create the riverbed or ocean floor. The ocean tool can combat this by making a constant height of terrain water without affecting the land it touches, it’d look something like this:

making water more consistent and easy to use. I imagine the lake tool to be able to act as a fill tool essentially, filling in landscapes that are closed with a constant, height of water, it’s different to the ocean tool as it’s contained, and multiple lakes can occur at different heights, making filling lakes much easier and more accessible.

Idea 3: Region tool adjustments

Rather than being a unique idea, this is a proposition for an edit on an old tool. The tool itself is used very often, however one of the big critiques of the tool is its range, limiting the size of a region that is created. Of course, there are plugins for this but it’d be nice if it could be included as a default in studio. Another aspect that I’d like to address is the rotation of regions, say if you were attempting to make a ski resort and mountain it’d be very difficult to grow a mountain step by step, however, the ability to rotate regions could make this process much easier and efficient.

In conclusion, I feel that the terrain tool is already amazing useful in the studio and platform, however, I feel that there are some more tools (such as these) that can be created to enhance the efficiency of the terrain creation, making large custom terrain much more accessible to more developers, allowing for a more enjoyable experience in making terrain.

3 Likes