Increasing players, playtime and enjoy-ability

1. What do you want to achieve?
    I’ve been working on a project for a long time now, mainly for fun, but if I could get more people to play that would definitely be an upside.

2. What is the issue?
    Average playtime is around 3-8 mins based on the month, with it being lowest on phone and highest on PC and Console (around a tie). This feels fairly low to me, so I wanted to know what I could do to increase this. Along with this, the game is usually in the mid-60% approval rating, which once again could definitely be improved upon.

3. What solutions have you thought of so far?
    More minigames (although based on the playtime, most don’t get to experience all of them in the first place - there are over 30 unique map/game combos), not optimized enough (perhaps on mobile, the performance is below most other Roblox games), too confusing (I added a lot of extra features into the game, perhaps the menus are too confusing for players and it turns them away)?

In terms of possible solutions already added, to keep playtime up, I’ve added seasons (achieve enough wins to get various prizes available for a limited time), a few leaderboards in the lobby, and more.

This is in regards to my game, which is a “minigames” game, essentially, there are 30 second - 2 minute long games that users can play very quickly.

Game Link: https://www.roblox.com/games/741251277/Domino-Games-Minigames-ONLINE

Basically, I want to improve the game overall, but I feel the first step would be to find out what causes people not to play longer, or not at all?

3 Likes

The statistics don’t lie. I can see why the playtime is low. I saw a sponsored ad for this game when it came out. Based on the cover and description it looked great. I genuinely wanted to enjoy this game. The quality of the game is great, it has some cool mechanics and the lobby is well built. I do agree that the game is confusing. The menu is overwhelming and theres a bit too much in the lobby, but this isn’t why. The most important thing in any game is for it to be fun, but this game’s minigames are all fairly basic and boring. Despite the fact that I really wanted to like this game, I left after a couple of minigames. They just aren’t fun, most of them are basic FFA minigames or ones that could be found in any other game like this. Epic Minigames is successful because of it’s wide variety of games. In his Developer Spotlight, TypicalType said “Most of the minigames games on Roblox at the time had similar minigames to each other, so I wanted to put some original ideas into Epic Minigames to make it unique and stand out.” That clearly worked for him. My suggestion for you is to get rid of all of the minigames you don’t think are fun, and add as many new original ones as you can.

4 Likes

Very fair point, thank you!
Definitely something I’ll work on!

2 Likes

Creating something original that isn’t seen inside of any other game on the platform will allow you to be considered the “controller” of that market, which can let you experiment.

For example, that game called Lab Experiment really changed how a “minigame” like game ran on the platform, and it’s a really good game that I think is perfectly rounded.

I would for sure consider looking at what you have, and what you can do to improve it, and make it completely unseen to the platform.

1 Like