Instance.Lock Instance.Unlock Removal

Instance.Lock and Instance.Unlock are deprecated functions and do nothing now.
They will be totally removed in two weeks.

17 Likes

Hi,

Out of interest - what was their function?
They aren’t documented

4 Likes

I don’t know the history. But I found a related topic. https://devforum.roblox.com/t/what-are-instance-lock-and-instance-unlock/31878

2 Likes

It was for the lock tool in studio that makes parts unclickable so that you don’t mess up something accidentally IIRC. I don’t see a reason why this would have to be used in a script unless it was part of a plugin so it’s removal shouldn’t really affect anyone.

2 Likes

That’s the Locked property of BaseParts that you’re thinking of, which still exists.

1 Like

Instance.Lock and Unlock were something similar, and I think he’s probably correct. I’ve know these functions to exist for years, but I’ve never known them to actually do stuff. (I don’t think they even error if you pass non-instances)

1 Like

Don’t think this will affect anyone. Didn’t know these even existed until now.

1 Like

I knew they existed, but I purposefully avoided documenting them on the wiki because I knew they didn’t do anything.

If I had to guess, their original idea was to make it so you could have a mutex lock on an instance and prevent other sources from modifying it.

Well it does sound like a neat thing in all honesty, locking the properties of a part. Of course we have Filtering Enabled now.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts