Insulting/roasting the player allowed?

TL; DR: Are NPCs allowed to insult (roast) the player?

Making a game with a lot of NPCs. One of the scenarios is the player being trained in a military setting. Generally, a lot of childish, comedic,and generic insults would be thrown around (“Player, you muffin head! Where are you shooting? The target is over there!”, with the only possible response “SIR YES SIR!”)

However, at some point the player would have a personal trainer/mentor I aim to build a trustful, personal relationship with. There are many ways I could go about this, like the supportive and caring “parent” mentor type, or the cool big brother/sister personality, all of which would be chosen by the player with knowledge of their personality. (“You’ve passed the first phase of training, now you must be mentored by one of our best. Choose one from the people you see in front of you.”, while they’re lined up with helpful animations and dialog prompts that let the player know their personality)

My question here is I want a more… “cold” or “sarcastic” but ultimately light-hearted type of mentor in the mix. Think like Potato GLaDOS in Portal 2, where besides being helpful, there’s a bunch of passive aggressive insults thrown into the mix (“Oh, you missed. Again. Color me surprised. Maybe now would be the time for you to drop out of the class and go home… but they’re paying me to train you, for some reason. Try to remember what I told you about aiming above the target, your last ten shots hit below. Go.”). They will end up in good terms after, for sure, and I’m confident that no one should be too annoyed with that personality… but I feel that maybe just the fact that you’re insulting the player directly (with mild, family-friendly roasting) is something that Roblox doesn’t like. The goal of this personality is to be a bit more playful with the player.

Would that be allowed? Are NPCs allowed to passive aggressively insult the player directly?

I’m only asking now to make sure, because that’s a lot of dialogue work that might go to waste… If not, my backup plan is just going with the sassy type without the passive aggressiveness.

Spoiler for more details:

The game gets progressively darker(think… Attack on Titan level dark/difficulty), and almost every NPC that the player has interacted with would die in battle, with the “mentor” NPC dying the most horrible one, trying to save the player he/she personally trained. That’s why it’s important to me to have a more mature (in the sense of how the NPC treats the player more like an adult who can take insults, rather than simply supporting them too much like a child) type of personality in the mix, to set the tone.

1 Like

They can not because of the Roblox Terms of Service. If they were allowed then people could get away with making NPC do very inappropriate stuff. So the answer is no because it’s still against the Roblox’s TOS. It would be against the TOS because it is classed as bullying and there are young kids on Roblox.

If it’s not against the TOS then it’s fine but what you have put down would be.

I read up on the ToS, and hmmm… mild roasting does technically sound like bullying, though… hmm.

Man, that kinda sucks. Getting mildly roasted sounds fun from my perspective, but for a kid on Roblox, yeah might not sound too well if you didn’t grow up with that lol. I wonder when we could get 13+ games sort…

Anyway, you’re right. Thanks!