Investing into a revamp of my game

Do you need to renew the license per year? you should look into someone who can handle all that stuff for you I assume it’s a painful process.

I’ve got people managing it already, it’s pretty tedious. Dunno the full terms yet, but I know just to even reach out to them is more in legal fees than most car game’s quarterly profit

O_O
nothing ventured nothing gained

As someone that firmly disagrees with the mindset of “Roblox is just a kids game, you shouldn’t spend that much money on it” (and the like), I have to say this is a rather interesting idea that hopefully will change the way that Roblox is viewed both internally (i.e. other developers) and externally (i.e. media companies, development studios, etc.).

I (and I’m sure many other developers) are firmly looking forward to see what becomes of your game and its community, I can only wish you the best of luck.

If you’re okay with such an idea, would you perhaps document the process for other developers to read? I’m sure it would be rather interesting (not to mention inspiring) to see the inner-workings of the project, if anything then in hopes of pushing foward the limits of Roblox and how people view it.

3 Likes

It looks great, can’t wait to see the game.

I’ll try. A lot of stuff can’t be shared because of 3rd parties, but I’ll do my best.

Lately, it has been stumbling around blindly in the games industry, teaching AAA professionals how to use Roblox’s proprietary game engine, dealing with ridiculous limitations/bugs, and a lot of other things along the same line.

I’ll post updates on how things are going every few weeks probably, or once a month.

3 Likes

Oh, I can only imagine what its like hiring people with no experience relating to Roblox. Transitioning to a new engine is always difficult.

Although this is a new concept on Roblox we should treat it like traditional games which something like this has succeeded hundreds of times. Not only that he already has a large community of players and already popular game. What’s the worse that can happen even if that 2.8m amounts to nothing I’m sure he can get that back by 2022.

Yep. I’m going to post a feature request in a few days asking for official C++ support with in-game scripts, so I can just hire people from the industry for that too. Right now, any special Roblox-only features limit us greatly, and it’s really annoying.

1 Like

I highly doubt that they would ever give us something like C++ support. That being said there is a tool created by a Roblox staff member ( @Osyris ) that allows you to transpile Typescript code into Luau.

link here: https://roblox-ts.com/

EDIT: Although I have heard talk of an unofficial C# → Luau transpiler being in the works by a comminity member.

I’m gonna be honest, that… probably won’t happen.

They’ve heard these a lot and implementing a such deep language to engine and also developing it with Luau (not everyone can understand C++ and Roblox is supposed to be easy to develop on) is not easy. It’s more than what a feature request can do.

You can use TS like what others said. Or maybe consider hiring some people who has a good knowledge of Studio/Luau so they can help other devs with that.

Yea, I know. Helps to make it clear that we want it though. Sounds like something they’ll implement in a few years.

https://www.roblox.com/games/5652023420/Hot-Wheels-Racing
This game had an even huger risk not sure how much was invested. It’s completely licensed and made a game from complete scratch with no previous Roblox experience or community. I think the studio behind it now owns/invests in a bunch of large Roblox car games and tycoon games.

They still have a lot to add before that. For example if CSS and HTML was present for GUIs it’d be really helpful and probably easier than adapting C++. And also ray tracing. Not gonna lie Roblox is still hiring C++ engineers on their “Jobs” page, not sure if it’s for internal engine or… :eyes:

1 Like

WHAT?! 2.8 million USD?! Man, I really wish you the best of luck on this one, because if it fails… :skull:

3 Likes

Roact is another tool created by a Roblox staff member (its also used in the Mobile app, CoreGui and I believe Xbox client?) thats based on Facebook’s React.

It’s actually been shown off at RDC a couple of years ago!

link here: Build GUIs with Roact & Rodux

EDIT: I should also note that the engine itself is written in C++, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on it being for us developers.

1 Like

Alternative programming languages for Roblox (that I’m aware of):

Typescript is the most widely and supported one though.

I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but in no way, shape, or form is the stuff you showcased so far worth $2,800,000 USD.

Roblox is incredibly unpredictable. As of now, the majority of the platform consists of children that do not see the difference in quality. It is safer to invest this money into creating your own studio outside of the platform. If you wish to revamp your game, consider using Roblox’s % payout feature. Skilled developers prefer this method of payout and it’s much safer for both parties.

Just a thought.

4 Likes

I unfortunately would disagree. Racing games aren’t “in” right now, and are repetitive and eventually get boring. I’m not sure about your game concept, but your budget is certainly too high. Don’t spend just because you have money, and don’t count on success. I think a reasonable goal for this would be a max of 10k players. Success on Roblox is hard, especially with new games without hype, and it’s hard to get hyped for a racing game.

Keep in mind the audience in Roblox compared to other engines are COMPLETELY different, and you will need to account for server maintenance, as it is not given to you in other platforms.