Is there a way/ will there ever be a way to re-texture smooth terrain?

This information would be very useful to know for map creation/ showcases, please inform me…
Also I would like to know if there would be a way to change the size of the faces in future.
(So low-poly terrain could be possible with larger faces)

2 Likes
  1. You can change terrain’s color.

2. No.

2 Likes

Currently, there is no method to do so other than color. “Will there ever” is a yes, but it will be a while. I don’t remember the reason (probably from zeuxcg), but I think it is either performance with custom materials, or the way new materials can be created. Something like Unreal Engine 4’s material creator would be cool, but a massive project for Roblox to do.

4 Likes

I feel like this is a move Roblox will want to take in the years to come. Like Nexus said, a UE4 style system would be beautiful if it could be implemented here. Honestly, with updates like “Future is Bright” I think Roblox is taking a massive step in the right direction, and it will only be a matter of time before something similar to what you are requesting is put into place.

1 Like

Is there any reason why resizing how coarse/flat terrain faces be very hard? It would be a really useful feature, and you could use it to increase performance by decreasing the amount of polys on a large scale.

I can take some guesses, but none of them may be valid. An employee like zeuxcg would be a better person to ask.

• Memory optimizations may be difficult
  • LOD may be harder to implement
  • Texture and normal map quality may decrease
  • Joints between terrain may become difficult or more jarring. Water with anything else is a good example with the existing system.
1 Like