Is this a poor method on handling Camera Cutscenes with FE support?

Hey.

So I’ve recently watched a video that was a tutorial for users:

It basically sets up as so:

• A RemoteEvent placed in the ReplicatedStorage for the script to trigger upon the call.
  • A Script in the ServerScriptService that triggers the event when it wants.
  • A LocalScript placed in the StarterGui, which basically has the source code of how the cutscene runs and where it goes.

Isn’t it a bit contradicting to have the source of the code go into the Client when you’re trying to protect your code from being hijacked? Not to mention the fact that these are running OnClient/FireClient events, doesn’t this seem a bit…dangerous? I thought it was stuff like this that we would want to avoid on ever trusting the Client with, or more importantly it kinda hurdles through phrase: Never trust the Client.

Is this situation different because it’s only happening locally to the player? Or is it just something that shouldn’t be worried too much because it’s a cutscene.

When I’m on my path on creating a game, would it be wise for me to have a LocalScript within the StarterGui every time I want to create a cutscene?

If this is a basic question, I’m really sorry, I’m just trying to wrap my head around this.

Honestly it doesn’t matter very much in my opinion since exploiters can do anything they want on the client, including messing with their CurrentCamera’s CFrame. This would only be a problem if remote events were triggering functions on the server that would effect other players.

Exploiters are exploiters and can do pretty much whatever that want with their client anyway.

Yes, it is true to never trust the client. HOWEVER, there are certain things that only the client can do. (UserInputService, Camera, etc.)

Isn’t it a bit contradicting to have the source of the code go into the Client when you’re trying to protect your code from being hijacked?

Well, the event there is using FireClient. Remember, a client cannot do OnServerEvent and FireClient, they can only fire to the server. Even if they try to hack it, why would they? It would ruin their visual and perspective.

Unfortunately, yes. Certain things can only be in the client, and this is where server verification comes in (Sanity checks, random firing, etc).

On my knowledge, either of those would work. But I prefer StarterPlayerScripts.

1 Like