Is this an efficient method for block placement?

I’m currently working on a building system and so far I’ve had success, but the building system is entirely client sided. I managed to come up with a plan for how the block placement will be handled every time the player places a block.

Is this method efficient? If not, what would be better?

1 Like

Rather than placing the block on the client regardless of anything. Check if the block can be placed on the client first so you can avoid exhausting the RemoteEvent by spamming it with data you already know is invalid. You should be checking this on the server as well to ensure safety. From there, you can continue to delete the fake block after a real one is created or simply make the entire system client sided, by sending the data to the other clients so they can create it as well.

EDIT: If you take the route I mentioned at the end, where the entire system is client-sided, you can introduce optimizations on each client by choosing what should/shouldn’t replicate to the client based on what’s relevant to them.

Can the client see this part? Are they too far away? Does this still need to be shown if they are far away from the block?

You’ll have to do more work by storing what block is and where it is on the server but it might pay off in the long run if you want to make your game available to lower-end devices.

3 Likes