Join public/friends server option

Instead of the current system being used by ROBLOX when you join a game and connect to a friends server I believe a better system would be to have a small popup on your ROBLOX page which asks you if you want to join a public server or a friends server. If the user has no online friends/users playing the game the friend’s option will be greyed out as it’s not usable. If a user would like to specifically choose what friend they want to join they can scroll down to servers and it will show all the VIP servers/friends in public servers that are available.

Concept design I came up with:

If there are no friends in the game:

Answering some questions from users:

44 Likes

Amazing idea, @HoudiniDev! Something else that could show up after you selected one of these above is:
(The player would be still able to join Slow servers though)
This way we are able to offer the player the best experience, mostly without connection issues.

8 Likes

What’s the point of this, to join a random server with a random friend online?
If you want to join a server with your friend, you can join him through his profile page.

5 Likes

It’s the reverse situation, actually. Right now, you already are pushed into servers with a random friend, but this is undesirable if you want to server-hop.

3 Likes

I really support this idea. Roblox can now bring servers back without a valid excuse as to not.

2 Likes

Oh, didn’t know that was a thing.
I guess I support this then.

1 Like

Although I like something like that it should definitely have slow servers at the end and fast servers at the top of the list, plus the bright colours are overpowering so a re-design would be required.

1 Like

I support this idea! Would be a useful replacement of the long old server lists… Just a question though - what if the player would want to join an empty server, or a server with a relatively small player count? That’s all I’m concerned about, other than that - I like this idea alot!

I would suppose ROBLOX would connect you to a server with a low player count. That’s probably up to ROBLOX to do that part.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more, I’ve had this problem all too much.

3 Likes

I support this, to me it makes a lot of sense when it comes to server hopping. Just the other day I was on a server that was full of trollers, but I couldn’t quite manage to rejoin without not being in their server (because a friend was in it).

One thing though, I think there should be a manual setting in Account Settings, so the user can choose “Always join Public Server” or “Always join Friend server.” as the popup would get annoying if you didn’t really have that large of a preference.

2 Likes

Completely agreed to be honest, I actually did that as a concept in like 2 minutes so I didn’t really care for the aesthetics and overall appearance.

1 Like

This is a very good suggestion, especially as right now when one server is broken or glitching, players usually leave and rejoin but end up in the same server with their friend, and due to the servers update they have no way of joining a new server and are stuck in an endless loop

1 Like

Fully supported a lot of players get tired of joining the same servers over and over again.

1 Like

Full support, I liked it better before friend servers were shown. If I want to join a friend, I’ll look at their profile and press “Join Game” lol. I like this idea of being able to switch between the two though. Nice icons btw.

2 Likes