JustAnAverageTree - Scripting Porfolio

Hey everyone! I’m offering services as a professional scripter / programmer. I have been programming on roblox for 6 years now, and am most known for developing the games Sky of Robloxia 1.0 and Sky of Robloxia 2.0.

A big goal for when I’m programming is to make sure designers / non-scripters can edit and add data to my scripts to fit their needs. I can program in OOP fully, and have programmed tons of script systems for different purposes and uses. I have done a bunch of contract work in my past as well, as you can see in the showcase.

I am also a student at SCAD, and have been focusing on a Game Development concentration with a plan to enter the games industry. I take that and the work I do on roblox really seriously, and I am extremley passionate about the overall process of game development, regardless the project.

Showcase!

Here is a list of my works along with videos showcasing them. The game-place for each of these works is in the description of the Youtube Video.

Games

(Most Recent Work) Titan God Simulator

Link to the Video
Titan God Simulator (TGS) is a game being developed for the Roblox platform, intended for a very young audience. The goal of the game is extremely simple: The player jumps to gain XP, and with enough XP will grow to be larger.

Although primitive on the surface, the game involves many side-mechanics that have to be intensely focused on to make sure the game is extremely simple to use for kids, especially on the back-end. Mechanics that had to be heavily focused on include:

• Developing an organized back-end that allowed for roblox transactions (using platform currency) to be easily handled, allowing for any type of item in the game to either be an in-game currency transaction or a roblox transaction.

• Using global-time to track items that counted down in real-time (such as boost effects) and were remembered in save data, as well as making a global leaderboard system that allowed for daily, weekly, and all-time stats.

• Developing a system for “pets” that allowed for players to equip and unequip them, as well as the data handled in a way so their attributes could be extended on in updates and could also be player tradable.

• Making sure the server-to-client communication was frequent and efficient for UI elements showing up to date stats, as well as providing animations for UI assets that looked decently polished (I coded the egg-opening animation as well).

…And more.

The project also gave me a lot of experience with working under stricter guidelines, such as intently following a Games Design Document (GDD) and importing UI that needed to be 9-sliced and scaled to match photoshop mockups.

Sky of Robloxia 2.0

Check out the game here!
Sky of Robloxia 2.0 was a game I dedicated a lot of time too, and from it I learned how to make a huge variety of systems, and how to make them work together.The game is a procedural-planet exploration game, with survival and RPG elements. From it, I made systems for things such as such as:

• Planet Generation
  • Survival Inventory
  • Custom Hotbar & Item Collecting
  • Spaceship Flying Mechanics (Dogfighting included)
  • Building
  • Crafting
  • NPCs that Buy and Sell
  • NPC Dialogue
  • Climbing
  • Lockpicking Mini-Game (see below)

… and much more. Feel free to check it out yourself!

Sky of Robloxia 1.0

Link to the Video
One of my first scripting projects from 2014! Sky of Robloxia is a game with randomly generated planets and items. Explore the universe in your ship, and fly to other player’s & unexplored planets to see what awaits!

Although my coding style is definitely outdated with this project, it was an experience that taught me the dos and MANY don’ts for developing games, and I have treasured what I learned from making it ever since.

1700s Game - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This game was a commission for a client. The goal was to make a round based game with the given gamemodes, whilst also designing all of the UI for it!

Other tasks included making a full shop system similar to GTA 5 (with items that last the game & items that carry over in data stores), making a CPT and King of The Kill system, round voting, and making it so that teams could be easily added and adjusted for each gamemode.

The gamemodes can also work with NPCs / AI! The feature was never fully implemented and explored, but the NPCs can still effect what is happening with the gamemodes.

Team Fighting CTF - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This was a project I was commissioned to do where players can make their own squads / teams, and could play Capture the Flag against one another. As demonstrated in the video, there are no issues with replicating the data to clients about what is happening with the teams, and it was made with minimal use of connected events.

Punching Simulator - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This game was a tryout for me making UI and data that functions and replicates in an organized OOP structure, and also for data that is super secure and can’t be exploited with. The UI was also made so that it would scale well with mobile!

Hide & Seek Project - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This game was an Idea I had with my good friend! He did the map building whilst I did the programming. The idea was for a game where players had to try and hide in plain site among NPCs whilst hunters had to find them.

For me, this was my first attempt at making a full “round system.” I especially wanted to make it interesting with mechanics like having the timer and item for the players, and having the dice role decide which gamemode would be chosen.

The AI that randomly walks around also had to be programmed.

Santa Gift Wrapping - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This was an idea I had for a game that I wanted to try out! The thought was for having multiple players in a casual game trying to make presents for santa, having to work cooperatively to do so!

Although the gameplay has some problems now that I think about it more, the programming for it was pretty easy to do, and involved making the given mechanics, click-drag ideas, and more.

Fling About - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
Fling About is a game concept that involves “flinging.” Run towards the destination you want to fling to, and click there to FLING upwards towards that destination!

Sky of Robloxia 2.0 Lockpicking - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
My door unlocking a mechanic is pretty complex, and this demo explains how it would work!

Get all the circles to blue (meaning they are in the correct position to unlock the lock) by clicking and dragging them around the circle. When you press the F key, the locks color will update to how close they are there correct position. The key is:

Red = 180 degrees away
Yellow = 90 Degrees Away
Blue = Near position or at position

Other

Snow Regeneration & Snow Cannon - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This is to demonstrate two mechanics I’ve made - Cannons with trajectory that is replicated for players, and Regenerating Terrain that regenerates in away as to avoid players getting stuck & floating snow chunks. This was originally a commission, and for now these scripts are not in use.

Snowmobile' Vehicles - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This is a vehicle template I made that can go over rough terrain, with variables that can change it to be smooth vs. rugged. Rugged allows for more mobility overall, while smooth is a more friendly experience. of course also works very well on smoother terrain :slight_smile: try it out!

Hitscan Gun - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This gun uses a form of hit-scan where the bullets that are fired can be intersected. It is replicated amoung players as well (rather than all run through the server), meaning it can be optimized so that a lower-end machine can still have hit-scan bullets!

Weather, Effects, and Other - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
Originally a commision for a client which unfortunately fell through, these effects have been made in a way so that they can be easily changed to whatever the client wants, and so that new effects can be made with the back-end scripting already fairly optimized.

The effects also have setup and cleanup functions, assuring that all memory is cleared when the scripts have stopped. It can be easily used for loading in levels with the SetupAll() function, and then DisconnectAll() to clean up.

Advanced Interacting Gui - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This demo shows an interacting script system I’ve made for myself. It allows for multi-functionality for almost anything, and is a much cleaner alternative than using ClickDetectors. Can be used for making a player have to “hold down” as well. Try it out!

Clothing Editing / "Wardrobe" - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This is for an upcoming game I’ve been working on. It allows for the player to edit their character with a wide range of wardrobe pieces - the pieces being whatever you can imagine.

Demo shows both traditional pieces being added to player, along with alternative ones such as shoes, gloves, and pieces that involve meshes / parts.

Vehicle Chassis with Truck - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
This was one of my first attempts at making Roblox vehicles. Since then I haven’t made many more, but I understand the process for making one now, and also got to make some very cutesy trucks in the process!

Part Dragging - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
A place where players can drag around parts. Drag the red blocks around, and see how they work with weirdly rotated parts. Works pretty well!

Toggable Server-wide Radios - Gameplay Demo

Link to the Video
Radios that replicate across the entire server! Was very simple to make, but the concept of it is one I wish I see more often.

Availability!

My availability ranges, and I can tell you directly after I’m familiar with the job how long I think it will take. I can give myself about 20-30 hrs a week to work, and if the price is right I can go over if need be.

Payment!

Prices are very negotiable. I expect payment to satisfy atleast $15 - 20 / hr of work, although I prefer to work task-based instead of hours. I also accept the robux equivalence.
I prefer if you come to me with an expected price / budget first rather than me guessing how much you’d like.

Contact Me!

Feel free to always DM me on the dev forum, or you can find me on…
Discord: (Tom) JustAnAverageTree#9059
Gmail: justanaveragetree@gmail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/justanavrgetree

:slight_smile:

27 Likes

A beautiful portfolio! Sent you a friend request on Discord. TheTimeDefender#1089

I tried to send a request, but it errored! Friend me, rosscko#7637

Same issue here! AgentVanBur#1251

@Twinkie_Toe @AgentVanBur Sorry about that! I guess adding to my discord name also completley messes with sending FR requests, thats silly. My new username is (Tom) JustAnAverageTree#9059. Regardless I made sure to send you both a FR on discord :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I will go check it right now!

Add me as well please! GabaGiggle#7568

Greetings!

I am very interested in your services. Your Discord doesn’t seem to be working, could you add me? mani.#0001

Thanks!

Interested in your services!

Rudy Gobert = STINKER!!!#7320

I am interested in retaining your services. Add me on discord at: saturninvs#6643

Im interested in hiring you for a short term project, JamieGBot#8718

Hi! Love your portfolio! Would love to hire you!

Cord: Replay#0911