Leaderstats index nil error, how to fix?

Hi, I’v tried to make it so everytime the player dies, they lose between 5 and 30 coins but the problem is that I keep getting those “index nil” erros on my leaderstat code in line 8. Take a look at my script.

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

game:GetService('Players').PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		character:WaitForChild("Humanoid").Died:Connect(function(died)
			local fine = math.random(5,30)
			local player = Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(died)
			local leaderstats = player.leaderstats --Error located
			local coins = leaderstats and leaderstats:FindFirstChild("coins")

if coins.Value <= fine.Value then
				coins.Value = 0
			else
				coins.Value=coins.Value-fine.Value
			end
		end)
	end)
	end)

Anyone can help on how to fix this issue?

We need to see your leaderstats script in order to help you!

What do you mean? I’v put it up there.

If you’re talking about the location where it’s placed, it’s inside a script inside ServerScriptService

Could you show us the exact error word by word (an image would be good of the error it shows inside of the output).

You never created a leaderstats, so you never added a coins value in it, that is if this is the only script and full script.

Leaderstats aren’t automatically created!

Here it is. It appears when I reset since its supposed to remove coins off your leaderstat amount when you die.

I know the issue, the problem is not the leaderstats, the problem is the player is nil, or rather died is nil

There might not be a leaderstats folder.

To fix your issue, make a local script, and check when the current player died, once they died call a remote event that subtracts the coins:

Local Script

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local char = game.Workspace[player.Name]
local remoteEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.Event

char.Died:Connect(function()
   remoteEvent:FireServer()
end)

Server Script:

local remoteEvent = game.ReplicatedStorage.Event

remoteEvent.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player)
   local fine = math.random(5,30)
			local leaderstats = player.leaderstats --Error located

if coins.Value <= fine.Value then
				coins.Value = 0
			else
				coins.Value=coins.Value-fine.Value
			end
end)

The issue is what @domboss37 said I believe.

To fix this you could just take the “player” value which you get when the player joins the server and use that as the player. There is no real need for you to find the player from the character.

Also not sure why but an extra thing is that there is no need getting the service “Players” again when the player is added when you define it above already.

1 Like

Where should I put the local script?

Only problem is his current script is a server script so that wouldn’t completely work, that’s why I posted the solution above

Anywhere that local scripts can run, in this case it doesn’t matter.

You can put it either in starterGui, or starterPlayerScripts (or other places they can run)

The error suggest that “leaderstats” does not exist.
Do you forget to create the leaderstats?

No, if you read it closely the error actually suggests that the player doesn’t exist, or the thing he is trying to find the leaderstats out of is nil

I think it should be fine even inside of a server script. If you look at “Humanoid.Died” the example is a server script and is the exact code they have there so it should work fine.

With the code you posted there is a high vulnerability with an exploiter abusing because they can fire the remote event as much as they want and get a ton of coins and there is no need to use remote events as I stated cuz it should work fine just on server.

A few notes :

1.No need to call game:GetService('Players') again, you’ve defined it as a variable above.
2. local player = Players:GetPlayerFromCharacter(died), you’re naming this variable in the same name as the player param in the PlayerAdded event. This can cause a confusion.
3.Instead of this line -
you can simply do -
local coins = leaderstats:FindFirstChild("coins")

Yeah, the only thing I wanna know how to get fixed is the index nil. Perhaps I need to extend one of the local in order to fix it.

Your are completely correct I wasn’t thinking straight! Thanks!

I don’t quite understand what your saying