Light Casting/Reflectance

Hello,

I guess I am wanting to know the more in-depth workings of lighting and objects associated with lighting.

I have this example of a traffic light with a tunnel visor that realistically should have the associated lens color (Red, Yellow, or Green) on the visor.

There is the end result of the light casting on the ground, but has anyone played around and thought logically/realistically about the environment they were lighting?

Here is further detail about what I am talking about:
GL%20Example
The light (even during the day) can be seen reflecting off of the visor.

4 Likes

Personally, I would just make the traffic lights neon, create an invisible block with a SpotLight inserted in it, then change its color.

Well, I have a lens decal from the BEPC lens pack, so it really wouldn’t work. I did try cranking the reflectance up on the visor itself, but it looked like a sci-fi light show with streaks of light. Sadly I think this speaks to how Roblox’s lighting is in need of further investment. I wouldn’t say improvement, because it has come a long way over the years.

Roblox’s lighting system is not perfect yet and is always being improved. Technically, anything that has the dark color will absorb light. If you actually set the visor to a lighter colour, you might be able to see some of the green light reflectance.

In this picture, I have set the brick to have RGB color (50, 50, 50) because if I set it really black, you know what happens, all the light gets absorbed. The material I used for this one was smooth plastic, but it also works fine with metal. The part reflectance was 0.

Here’s an update:

I have played around with visor color and through in a part into my overall group for the green lens:
moreprogress

I was thinking I was going to be a clever human and adjust the ranges and brightnesses, but it didn’t turn out so well…

Would a lens flare texture work here? I am just trying to think outside this box I currently am in. At the moment the lenses (while off) look great IMO, but on, they look very flat and 2D.

P.S. What’s with light bleed? It’s been a thing for quite some time, I know when surface lights came out they addressed it in a video, but is it just the way the engine renders light currently?

1 Like

With regards to that traffic light example, that effect is called specular highlights, and it’s in phase 3 of Future is Bright. It’s part of the reason why stuff in FIB looks realistic, but that does mean unfortunately it’s not available for production use yet.

I have a lens decal from the BEPC lens pack, so it really wouldn’t work.

The example image is a circle. The only other things I can think of are arrows. These should both be fairly trivial to just sculpt with a part and make them neon, and it would then have the added effect of a glowing light!