Lights don't render if they are too far away

My game will soon use dynamic lighting to simulate ‘Fog of War’, an effect where your units have a line of sight, and anything past that is ‘fogged’ so that you can’t see it.

Can there be some setting for making the lights always render? It’s inconvenient if you’re zoomed out from the map, or on the other side of the map, glancing at the units at your base, and to be unable to see them well, or any enemy units that might be moving across your line of sight. Disabling lights at a distance makes sense for rendering, but this is an example of a mix of rendering in game mechanics, where it’s not so great :slight_smile:

Example of it working as intended:

Example of the lights not rendering:

Edit: not sure if this should go in bug reports or feature requests, it’s kinda a mix, feel free to move it if I miscategorized it.

Are you setting the camera focus? Lights far away from the focus have low priority to render.

Also, is that a Discworld RTS?

[quote] Are you setting the camera focus? Lights far away from the focus have low priority to render.

Also, is that a Discworld RTS? [/quote]

Where would I set the focus to? If the camera is trying to look at something on one side of the map, it’s position can still be on the other side, meaning lights won’t render. I could mitigate the zoom problem by snapping the focus onto the same general Y coordinate as the map, but the X/Z problem of being half way across the map would still be an issue.

It’s a free-form RTS with community made maps, that specific map was made by DataBrain and just happens to be disc shaped :slight_smile:

Edit: and thanks for the heads up, setting the focus will definitely reduce the noticeability of this problem in my game :smiley:

Got this issue:
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/client-bug-reports/18088-camerasubject-getting-constantly-reset-to-humanoid