Looking for some constructive criticism on landscape mesh

Hey guys, so i am working on a game that will require a ton of localparts. I cant use the Terrain Tool as that does cause some lag and it is hard to work with while using localparts. I was using normal parts but its just easier making a mesh in Cinema 4D. In case someone doesnt understand what I mean by localparts:
(localparts is something player/client based meaning one person might see it and another wont. It mostly depends on the area they are in. So if a player is in a town, i wouldnt want them to see another town in the distance if that makes sense.)

Anyways I have built up the first area Excluding trees, flowers, a pathway, etc (this will come later). But I am just looking for some constructive criticism or feedback on how the map looks so far. I am up for any ideas or redoing a cliff or whatever. I will add texture and everything else later, but first i want to see if this type of mesh building looks good to the public eye.

5 Likes

Can anyone give me something? To me it looks decent but thats because I did it, but I dont know how it looks to the public eye.

2 Likes

It might be too dense in height changes and if you are doing smooth lighting I think you should make it show the edges and faces distinctly instead (I don’t know the terminology)
I think you should have smaller bevel transitions than what you have in your first picture and there should not be cutouts for pathways

Also if you aren’t already(its a little hard to tell) I think you should either pad the grass with the brown material on the edges (so its on the same plane) or give the grass some height to pop out

I don’t like your colors much either but I assume they are temporary placeholders

1 Like

I purposely didnt add any textures to it and the colors are just temp colors for now until i actually upload it to studio. as for the bevel i think you are right i do see what you mean.

As for the cutouts i think you are on to something and it actually might cause more issues later on that that i think about it… but awesome thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

The map won’t be just one MeshPart, right?
Otherwise you will definietly encounter collision issues, especially in more concave areas.

2 Likes

Noo its in pieces, but even if it do run into collision issues on studio, i know of very easy fix to that. I actually been meaning to post that on here in learning.