Manually enable/disable certain quality stuff in-game

Background Info:

As a Roblox Player I find that the current graphics settings are crippling us and our ability to play in the best possible way. I myself have a very low-end computer, and with auto-graphics levels on, the graphics never exceeds notch two. Here’s what’s different in the following games…

Jailbreak:

Very small level of eyesight, which makes the game’s beautiful scenery really bad and ugly, as you can only see so little. When it rains (or snows) you can see the simulated clouds even when indoors, and it glitches in and out of view. There are tons of other differences, but these are only the most disturbing.

Phantom Forces:

I’ve played on better computers before, and the feel is completely different. On my computer, there are no sun rays. There is no sunshine that directly illuminates the world. The field of view makes spotting people impossible, even with scopes, such that you can’t see/shoot people of the crane, for example. The maps look bland, and you can’t even see 3/4 of it.

Now, I know that some of our computers are bad, but the whole (graphic level) system is limiting us even more. Our computers can handle a bit more, and if not, then let us decide for it.

The Request:

Rather than having “auto,” and “manual,” lets add another option that is truly manual. This would have checkmark selections and percent sliders, that control at least the following:

• Field of view
  • Bloom
  • Anti-aliasing
  • Sun Rays
  • Sunshine Reactive Map
  • Neon
  • Transparency
  • Water Quality

The list can continue as deemed needed. This stuff can really make a change…

As usual I will add a poll:

• I would like more freedom to control my roblox graphics
  • I think our current settings are fine

0 voters

25 Likes

Support.

1 Like

Support

1 Like

Support. Will come in handy for YouTubers/streamers.

4 Likes

Support! Even just a property of lighting like ‘SunRaysAlwaysVisible’ which can be enabled on the client if the player selects it in in-game settings created by the developer.

2 Likes

Yeah, some “Advanced” settings would be great.

4 Likes

A lot of modern games (and game engines) have these abilities, I don’t see why the ROBLOX engine shouldn’t either. It’d be cool if there was a scriptable API for this as well, allowing developers to have their own custom settings systems.

Full support.

4 Likes

Absolutely support, this has been an issue for me in the past and I don’t see any reason (other than maybe confusing people?) why this shouldn’t be a feature.

2 Likes

This would definitely improve gameplay, full support from me

2 Likes

Most modern games allow that sort of granularity when determining graphics settings. I definitely support having more ability to pick and choose how games appear, especially on lower end machines.

4 Likes

Support! Field of view is very important for a game I’m working on, but none of the other graphics settings matter as much. I would love the option for players to be able to have the extended field of view without sacrificing frame rate via the other graphical settings.

1 Like

I don’t want Field of View to be an option that players can change from the Esc menu. I want the ability to use my own custom field of view changer. For example) I am working on a game where part of it has a fixed camera angle, and the player is allowed to use the scroll wheel (or when it’s mobile pinch) to zoom the field of view in/out

7 Likes

What are your system specs?
In fact, could you please upload a few microprofiler dumps from first page games at min and max quality (set to manual)?

My system specs:

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

How would I do this?

In-game, press Ctrl+F6, from the Dump menu, Click 32 Frames, then go to C: \Users\<you>, and pick most recent ‘microprofile-<date>-<time>.html’ file.

Here’s the ones from jailbreak, which is what I can get you at the current moment.

Lowest Setting:

Highest Setting:

Great, thank you! Now there’s a small “inconsistency” about these dumps (missing GPU timings), so I’d like a bit more data. Could you please join Jailbreak, wait for it to load, then press Shift+F2 and screenshot the panel that comes up? Also, what’s your OS?

OS High Sierra.

Low quality:

High Quality:

What model is your mac? Year?

Thank you!

So it’s a mac. Now I get it.

Judging by the MP dumps you provided, the game is completely bottlenecked on the GPU. Even at quality set to 1, you’re waiting 16 ms for the GPU to finish rendering the previous frame. All of the effects are already at minimum: and there’s nothing more to turn off to help with performance.

Here are a few things to try out: run in a window, maximize, note the GPU time on the Shift+F2 panel. Then resize the window to 1/4th (1/2 in each dimension) of the screen size and see if the timings improve. Try this both, on low and high quality. If it’s exactly 4x less, this means your GPU is pixel shader bound, and it’s probably too slow to run Jailbreak.

I’m not sure how having Advanced Settings is going to help here.

2 Likes