Matt's MathModule - Documentation

MathModule

The MathModule is a module in which developers can easily access an ever-expanding library of mathematical formulas, constants, and functions. Use it in your games to acquire a variety of all things math in an efficient and easy to use manner.

What does the MathModule do?

Before I created the module, I thought to myself, “I wish there were more math functions built into lua scripting.” Soon after I began scripting the module that you see today. The MathModule contains mainly functions, with a few constants. The functions range in usefulness, including geometry, algebra, and lots of number manipulation.

Accessing the MathModule

The MathModule can be accessed in two ways. Inserting the module into the game manually, and requiring it from a script, or requiring the id.

https://www.roblox.com/library/5737882098/Matts-MathModule-Math-Library

The model link is shown above. You can take this model and insert it manually into the game. For covenience, I would recommend placing in ReplicatedStorage or the Workspace, as these replicate to both the server and client.

The second method, is requiring the id within a script. The code below can load the MathModule into your game through a script.

local MathModule = require(5737882098)

Which method is best? They both have benefits. Manual insertion of the model allows for a module in a single place, able to be required from any script in the game. On the other hand, requiring by id ensures that you have access to the most up-to-date version of the module. Remember, changes are always being made. If you encounter any mistakes with the MathModule, please message MattPrograms on ROBLOX.

Constants

Currently, there are very few constants.

e - Euler’s number (2.71828182845…)

phi - Golden Ratio (1.61803398875…)

Functions

Rand(double min, double max, bool round) - Returns a random number between the minimum (min) and maximum (max) values. If the bool round is true, it will return a random integer. This can be used in place of math.random, as it uses a different method of obtaining random numbers, resulting in less repetitiveness.
(Additional identifiers: Random, RandomNumber)

Rnd(double n, int p) - Returnsn, rounded to the p decimal place. Leave p blank or as 0 to round to the nearest whole number.
(Additional identifiers: Round)

Add(tuple …) - Returns the sum of all values. Input types include numbers and arrays.

Mult(tuple …) - Returns the product of all values. Input types include numbers and arrays.
(Additional identifiers: Multply)

Even(int n) - Returns a bool. True if the number is even, false otherwise.

Odd(int n) - Returns a bool. True if the number is odd, false otherwise.

EvenOrOdd(int n) - Returns 0 if n is even, 1 if n is odd.

Comp(int n) - Returns a bool. True if the number is composite, false if it is prime.
(Additional identifiers: Composite)

Prime(int n) - Returns a bool. True if the number is prime, false if it is composite.

Recip(double n) - Returns the reciprocal, or multiplicative inverse, of a number.
(Additional identifiers: Reciprocal, Inv, Inverse

Fact(int n) - Returns the factorial of n (n!).
(Additional identifiers: Factorial)

Diag(tuple …) - Returns the diagonal of the shape created based on the lengths provided. If two numbers are input, it returns the diagonal of a rectangle with the provided length and width. If three numbers are input, it returns the diagonal of a rectangular prism with the provided length, width, and height. Also known as Pythagorean Theorem.
(Additional identifiers: Diagonal)

Root(double x, double n) - Returns the nth root of x. Root is better than math.sqrt, as it can use root other than the square. These include cube roots, 4th roots, and so on.

Mean(tuple …) - Returns the mean (the average) of the data set. Input types can include numbers and arrays.

Median(tuple …) - Returns the median (center of numerically ordered sets) of the data set.

Mode(tuple …) - Returns the mode (most commonly occurring number) of the data set.

• More is to be added to this post.