MessagingService Release

I’ve been waiting for this ever since I saw it in the changelog, can’t wait to use it!

5 Likes

What are the consistency guarantees for receiving messages? If I send a message, how guaranteed is it that it will arrive at all running servers (if the publish request doesn’t throw)? How much can the time vary between different servers receiving the message? Are there any other details there that developers should be aware of?

31 Likes

Very useful indeed. I myself will be using this new feature for before-raid warnings and event setup in my universe. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Idea: Making cross-server matchmaking with this…
:thinking:

15 Likes

The subscriptions per game universe limit concerns me. The example on the wiki subscribes once for every user that enters the game (real world example being things such as cross server private chatting), but the max limit per universe is 10k, with no per-player scaling. What if my game gets popular and has over 10k players online?

Also, this is super awesome

18 Likes

Awesome feature, can’t wait to see this in action in my private projects(I have 5 private projects in progress, only 1 will be focused on).

3 Likes

wooo!! Feature after feature after feature! Thank you for shipping these features out, this is truly powering imagination.

5 Likes

I’m definitely going to be using this soon. Thank you so much for this feature, I’ve been waiting for cross server communication since 2016.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to try this out; There are so many uses for this.

5 Likes

Please do not shut down all your servers at a single point in time – you will probably experience throttling issues with various web calls. Instead, gradually shut them down over a period of time.

23 Likes

This day has finally come, I’m gonna use this so much :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Are there any plans of an increased per server limit?

4 Likes

I believe with certain games, you can request up to a 200 member slot per server. I think that Roblox would realize you would need more subscriptions per game universe slots than 10k if your game got that popular.

4 Likes

BY GOD, IT IS HERE. IT HAS BEEN BESTOWED UPON US.

Going to get to implementing this into my games right away.

4 Likes

This is a very exciting update! Can’t wait to play around with the capabilities that this feature has to offer!

4 Likes

The consistency guarantees are documented on the MessagingService class page.

9 Likes

Does PublishAsync throw if it can’t send due to a limit or failing to deliver the message?

5 Likes

If a single player game (each player gets a new server) achieves more than 10k concurrent players… then what?

6 Likes

We’ll cross that theoretical bridge when we come to it. As mentioned in the documentation, all limits are subject to change.

18 Likes

Looks like Crossroads Warfare is going to have not only server creation logic, but also some more neat features, all thanks to this!

3 Likes