Microprofiler segments not showing up/disappearing

When performance testing for my game, I’ve been noticing gaps in the microprofiler where operations (likely related to parenting) are taking place. This happens both in Studio and in game.

Either the segments I expect to be there will not show up in the first place (after Ctrl + P), or they will disappear after panning/zooming the timeline.

Examples

These missing segments make optimizations very difficult, as I have no information about what is causing the spikes in frame time.

I don’t believe it is a recent issue, as I recall dealing with it a year or more ago, and I don’t believe it is related to my computer, because I had a friend reproduce it.

Repro Steps:

1. Open new place file
  2. Open microprofiler with F6
  3. Insert part (multiple if necessary)
  4. Ctrl + P and observe frame in which part was spawned. There should be a gap
9 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Similar to things like SurfaceGUI albeit I know these are separate systems, I assume that this happens when too many UI elements are on screen at once since in certain cases I’ve had not only labels disappear, but the rest of the UI for the profiler disappear too.

3 Likes

Hi there, thanks for filing this bug report. Unfortunately, fixing it isn’t currently on the roadmap so we can’t prioritize a fix at this time.

1 Like

Hello @Hippie_ofDoom,

How do we get this to be a higher priority? This is a bug that directly impacts us being able to optimize our games. If we can’t resolve optimization issues ourselves, then users will not be able to play our games, and Roblox will lose money.

Could we possibly get an engineer to respond as to why we won’t be seeing this get resolved in the near future? Is this a very difficult problem to fix? etc

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Honestly in my opinion the Microprofiler needs a redo or an update, this is just absurd.

There are more issues than this with the profiler, for example, Another one was reported a few days ago (no response yet btw) saying the Microprofiler crashes studio/the engine if you zoom in too much, there is also a lack of updated, broad documentation (see the developer page here), and generally, you can find a lot more issues if you just search Microprofiler.

This is effecting a ton of developers and users workflow, and in some cases, revenue.

“fixing it isn’t currently on the roadmap” is the most stupid response to this, it’s a whole pot of overcooked spaghetti and it needs to be addressed more formally than “it’s not on the roadmap sorry :|”.

1 Like

First of all, I very much appreciate the transparency. A negative response is preferable to silence.

However, I strongly believe that Roblox should reprioritize the microprofiler.

Any game which pushes the boundaries of Roblox has performance issues, and the microprofiler is the only tool available to identify and debug those issues. We’ve suffered with the current one’s unreliability and opaqueness for a long time, and it’s disheartening to learn that improvements are not even planned.

2 Likes

The engineers response is that this is a minor issue and there are no plans to fix this in the near future. Sorry that the canned response was vague.

2 Likes