More in-depth information on Globals and Built-in functions

I want to get a better understanding of what’s going on behind the scenes whenever I call a Global or Built-in function

examples

instance:Destroy()
instance:BreakJoints()
instance:GetTouchingParts()
pairs()/ipairs()

and many more

I know what all Built-in functions and most Globals do, but with a large number of them I don’t have a in depth understanding of what’s actually going on when I call them behind the scenes

I’m not asking for direct answers to my examples above, but rather a place to get more in-depth information

2 Likes

For Roblox-specific functions, the wiki helps a lot. For example, Instance:Destroy:

Sets the Instance.Parent property to nil, locks the Instance.Parent property, disconnects all connections and calls Destroy on all children.

It’s hard to tell you exactly what they do line-from-line, because most if not all API functions are written in C++ (iirc), which would require decompiling the Roblox engine to view. The wiki is more than enough.

For Lua-specific functions, the Lua docs help. For example: the difference between pairs and ipairs
However, the wiki can also help! Roblox has overridden some functions, like require. The docs can be found here (Lua globals) and here (Roblox globals)

2 Likes