Most Effective Team Size

The question of this post is: What team size leads to the best end product?

I want to weigh in the pros and the cons of both ends of the argument, then invite discussion to see what my fellow developers think.

Small Developer Team

For context, I classify a “small” developer team as a team of three or less people.

Pros

• Easy coordination
  • Lesser spread out revenue share

Cons

• Less pure workforce
  • Harder to cover all areas (UI, SFX, modeling, programming, GFX, etc)

Examples of success:

• Jailbreak (Badimo)
  • Adopt Me (DreamCraft used to be, but it seems now they have more developers? Correct me if I’m wrong)

Medium Developer Team

I consider a medium sized team a team sized anywhere from four people to eight people.

Pros

• Tends to be more professional
  • Relatively easy to cover the majority of positions
  • Lots of brainpower to solve problems and design the game

Cons

• Rather spread out revenue share
  • Coordination could be rough although with the higher professionalism that I’ve seen it could be counteracted

Examples of success:

• Tower Defense Simulator (Paradoxum Games) This is one of my favorite games.

Large Developer Team

I consider a large developer team a team with over 9 members.

Pros

• LARGE workforce. Can get stuff done and shipped to the game quickly.
  • Very professional environment. Resembles corporate environment in some ways.
  • All areas can be covered by more then one person, sometimes even setup in departments (modeling department, scripting department, etc)

Cons

• Massive revenue share spread. Could be countered by the high chance of success and lot of revenue made though.
  • Coordination could be an absolute mess if not done correctly.

Examples of Success

• All the ROLVe games
  • Vesteria
  • All the RedManta games

I would love to add to this post with more pros and cons that are presented in the comments. Do you think I was wrong with some of the pros or cons? What do you think is the most effective team size and why? I want to hear all of your opinions.

Thank you for reading!

This category is for posting job offers rather than discussion on development teams, use Post approval mentioned in the rules to post in #development-discussion.