‘Move To’ option for objects in the Studio Explorer

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to move different objects around the Explorer in Studio if you have a large amount. If I were to have an Script that I wanted to move into ServerScriptService from Workspace, I would have to pick it up and drag it down to the place.

The proposed idea is to be able to right click on the object you want to move and within the pop-up menu, there could be a “Move To” option, which presents you with the Children of game available that you can move the object to.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would be faster to move things around and I wouldn’t have to scroll through an explorer filled with a large amount of objects.

The ‘Move To’ option would be added somewhere in this menu (shown when an object is right clicked).

4 Likes

Dragging and dropping isn’t the only option to reparent objects in the explorer.

You can always select the objects you want to move

And in the properties tab, click the “Parent” property

You will notice your mouse icon will change, and click the new parent of the objects you want to move

Video:

The idea of having a dedicated option to move a mass amount of objects in a cluttered explorer would be nice to have, however I personally do not see much people using this feature as there are several ways to move objects in a cluttered explorer (Cut and Paste, Grouping/Creating Models, Folders, the video I posted, etc.)

7 Likes

This is generally what cut and paste is used for. This feature requests sounds highly specific. I think that some people might consider it bloat inside the right-click menu.

1 Like

Say you had a lot of parts to scroll through. In your example, you could easily drag the parts down but if you had a big map then it would be harder.

This would be really unnecessary. You can use shift clicking to select fine. Select the upper most instance in the explorer, hold shift, select the lower most. All of the instances in between will be selected. If you want some to not be selected use ctrl click to remove specific ones and shift click to remove sections.

Dragging items down through the explorer is quite annoying, I agree. With both methods, parent property and cut/paste, you are able to scroll through explorer easily using the scroll bar.

1 Like

If you click the parent property and anything in workspace, it is basically the same as the feature you’re describing

1 Like