My Attempt at making FizzBuzz

I’ve made my way to make FizzBuzz

Code:

for times = 1,100,1 do
	local printableOutput = ""

local function test(number, stringToAdd)
		if times % number == 0 then
			printableOutput = printableOutput .. stringToAdd
		end
	end
	test(2,"Fizz")
	test(3,"Buzz")
	-- so on

if printableOutput == "" then
		printableOutput = times
	end

print(printableOutput)
end

The code works but i feel like it’s clunky and wondered if there’s some way to improve it

1 Like

You can declare and create the function before the for loop, so that it is made once instead of multiple times.

1 Like

Yeah but i don’t think it will work since it won’t know what the variable times is

1 Like

So pass it into the function. printableOutput = test(times, number, stringToAdd) Then just have it return printableOutput .. stringToAdd

1 Like
local function testModZero(str, a, b)
	if a % b == 0 then
		return str
	end
	return ""
end

for index = 1, 100 do
	local output = testModZero("Fizz", index, 3) .. testModZero("Buzz", index, 5)
	print(index, output)
end

There’s my version of FizzBuzz that respects how you approached the problem with a function that checks for two numbers mod to zero. We can make the function once and open a third parameter for the current loop iteration.

3 Likes

I’d say a system like this would be a bit more organized

local stringTimes = {
	{2, "Fizz"},
	{3, "Buzz"}
}

for times = 1,100 do
	local printableOutput = ""

for _, info in ipairs(stringTimes) do
		if times % info[1] ~= 0 then
			continue
		end
		printableOutput ..= info[2]
	end

print(printableOutput == "" and times or printableOutput)
end

stringTimes would be a table that contains tables in it, whose first index is the number to modulo with and the 2nd index is the word to append. The tables need to be written in order from smallest number to modulo with to largest number to modulo with as it could cause the strings to be weird.

Then everytime we iterate from 1 to 100, we go through the table and multiply times with the number in the table and if it equals 0, we continue and append the word to the variable. Then at the end we check if the variable is an empty string, and if it is we return the current number and if it isn’t, we return the string.

If you plan on adding more words you just make another table and wouldn’t destroy readability if ever add 10 or more words, @okeanskiy method is smaller, and could be made even small through the fake tenary,

if a % b == 0 then
		return str
	end
	return ""

can be sortened to

return a % b == 0 and str or ""

But personally I don’t like the idea of having to increase an already lengthy line of code everytime i want to add another word

1 Like

I’m a big fan of compact code (albeit messy), so here’s my attempt at compacting an entire FizzBuzz script into exactly 90 characters.

for i=1,100 do o=""if i%2==0 then o=o.."fizz"end if i%3==0 then o=o.."buzz"end print(o)end

I’m not sure if I did it right, but hopefully other people find it interesting as well.

One liner.

for x = 1, 100 do
    print(((x % 5== 0 and x % 3==0) and "fizz buzz") or (x % 5 == 0 and "buzz") or (x % 3 == 0 and "fizz") or x);
end