My First Blender Cycles GFX - Criticism/Feedback!

This is my first ever GFX I made in blender cycles by myself completely, no tutorial. I made it as a commission and if anyone could give any feedback, it would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Also, I did one with the title text, but I’m not too good with text… Does anyone know any good tutorials or have any good suggestions on how to make appealing text?

13 Likes

how just how is that ur first like how is it so good teach me

3 Likes

It’s not my “First”

It’s just my first time I used Blender Cycles with the nodes and all that by myself.
I started learning it two days ago. Kid Veggito’s Tutorials, although fast-paced and hard to follow, were my absolute saviors. I copied what he did and this is my first I ever did on my own, playing around with the materials.

1 Like

damn i dont use cycles i just use blender

I highly recommend checking out his channel. The blender manual also helped along the way when I was trying to figure stuff out.

okay, thank you! . …

I think your GFX is very well done. The color palette is consistent throughout and the accessories on the character look phenomenal.

My only complaint would be that the texture of the character’s hands are inconsistent with the texture of its face, which throws me off a little bit. I’m not sure what look you are trying to achieve there; perhaps a dusty effect? From a distance, it is not as noticeable, however. Otherwise, this is great work!

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 1.05.29 AM

As for title texts, it vastly depends on the theme and style of GFX you are making. For this GFX, I think the font and color looks fine, though if you want to make it more animated you can consider making it have a 3D appearance, such as by adding effects like Bevel & Emboss, etc., and by adding a pattern overlay to the text that fits with the theme of your render, though I’m not sure which editing software you use.
If you’re looking for more fonts, this is a good font website that I commonly use; it has several categories and subcategories which I find helpful.

1 Like

This GFX is pretty good overall. The only problem I am having with this is the hands. Unless it is representing dirt, it looks unnatural compared to the face. If it is dirt, try making it look more like dirt by putting dust on the hands. Overall it’s pretty good.

Second, about your appealing text, try searching up video tutorials. If that doesn’t help, maybe try referring to posts on the DevForum teaching you what makes an appealing logo.

1 Like

Epic GFX! Continue the good work!

1 Like

First time!?
This is an amazing first time render holy!

1 Like

The hands were kinda bugging me when I rendered it. For some when I used bump it added it onto the hands… Even at the lowest strengths it still had those rough bumps on the hands. Is the bump on the whole character even visible besides the hands?

I think it’s great… maybe smooth the hat so you can’t see the vertex marks

2 Likes

The bump on the clothes / accessories is visible when I zoom in, but from far away it is not as prominent.

Blender most likely applied bump to the entire character, since a bump node is usually connected to the image texture, which would be the whole texture of the character, explaining why there’s bump on the hands as well as the clothes. I’m not exactly sure how’d you work around this in Blender itself, though you could maybe try smoothing the image using an editing software. I tried with Photoshop and simply used the color picker and brush tool on the right hand.
Test_

2 Likes

Ah! Thanks.

Definitely will do that with all my future GFX.

Youtube tutorials and the Blender Manual.

Nice work! Would work lovely with and ad or game icon of some kind

1 Like

Awesome GFX! I agree with some of the other replies though. The texture between the hands and face are quite different, but overall, it was pretty good!

1 Like

Awesome. I got into GFX a few years ago inspired by Kid Veggito too! I didn’t know he made new tutorials though, or switched to Blender. Anyway good first start!

@DeltaBuilderHD Just out of curiosity, wym you don’t use cycles but you just use Blender? Blender only has Eevee and Cycles.

I used to use the old versions before 2.8, before Eevee, and would just slap a character in and press render. Didn’t bother with touching the nodes or engines or any of that.

We all used to do that at the start. I’ve been using Blender a few years now, but I do remember how scary everything else was at the very start. But for real, the whole process is a lot more fun when you use all of that.