Need Help in my Game Design

Hello everyone, I hope I’m putting this in the right category.

Anyways, I have a bit of a problem with my game design. I’m currently trying to make a game where you have to paint the map to win, similar to Splatoon.

I made a paint script where whenever you touch a part turns that color to your team color.

This works, but it looks… boring? Not to mention it needs a lot of parts inside the map to work which may cause lag. I mean just look at this:

The parts there are already 2x2 and I plan on making it 1x1. Anyways, my solution was to just create a normal map and create a paint script that does this:

The difference of this and the first one is that this instances a new part and its CFrame is incremented by .2 studs based on the part below it.

But the problem with this is that this seems Complicated. If I make the map normal without all of those parts, then all I have is it’s Y position, and I have the calculate the position of the X and Z based on the player’s position, which can pose a lot of problem.
Not to mention the walls. Yeah, the walls. I plan on making a map with the walls being paintable as well.

Well? What do you think? Which method of painting the map should I go for? Or if you have any other methods, please tell me, it would really help me alot :sweat_smile:

Why not just make all the Parts Anchored and use the script to change the Part.Color?

Thats what I did on the first one.

So this is 55x55 and you’re going to change to 110x110?
That’s only 12100 Parts. Not really a whole lot of Anchored Parts, I’ve seen more in showcases in a smaller area that didn’t cause lag issues.
Just try it to see.

Alright, though I plan on making maps much bigger than these, how many parts are the fine until lag comes to play?

Usually depends on the amount of Parts in a small area.
In cases like this it’s just best to experiment.

Hold up. Do you have a touch script inside EVERY block?

I have a touched script inside the player so that when a part touches it, it becomes the player’s color. If I had a touched script inside each part that would cause a whole lot of lag. :sweat_smile:

Ok good lol! That’s a relief right there. As far as I am concerned the system you are using should work fine, but you might need to consider using the touched event on projectiles so when it hits the ground it creates a cylinder.