New Forum Users

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on our invitation policy. Until now our selection criteria has been very restrictive and as a result our community is very small. We want to encourage and foster new developers, so we are expanding our invitations to more developers, not just the top tier. We are of course still looking to invite experienced veterans of ROBLOX, but we also want to foster and encourage newer developers who could benefit from the resources this forum provides.

To help maintain our high standard of discourse, we are limiting the sections of the forums that new users can post to. After a probationary period these users will be promoted and will have the same permissions that current users have.

New users will be able to make new topics in:
[ul]
[li]Bug Reports[/li]
[li]Exploit Reports[/li]
[li]Development Discussion[/li]
[li]Collaboration[/li]
[/ul]

New users will not be able to view:
[ul]
[li]Lounge[/li]
[li]Moderation Review Requests[/li]
[/ul]

For all of the other categories, new users will be able to view and post replies, but will not be able to make new topics.

How long is the probationary period?

So I guess it’s going to be easy for newer members to join now?

Oh, you might also want to restrict Updates to post-probation people to lower the chances of new updates getting leaked

If there is a need for it, could the hide tag be usable to hide content from the members with limited access but visible to full members? (Example uses: Code you don’t really want people you don’t trust as much)

So this would kind of be like opening to more devs but at the same time see if they’re mature enough for the forums?

This is similar to my question. Can we recommend aspiring devs who don’t have a ton of experience or anything but could learn a lot from the community, or should we stick to players who have obviously earned a place here?

So, are all new members put into the vetting process or are some who are deemed qualified allowed full access?
When is it decided that new members have been vetted enough to be allowed full access?

When is this going into effect? Hopefully soon?

Thinking about it, it’d probably be more appropriate for the probationary period to be tied to post count as well. If someone joins and then only posts once or twice during a whole month, you won’t be able to properly judge them. Basing it on post count will also encourage new members to post more often and keep discussion flowing. Since they’re on probation when they first joint, they’ll be sure to keep their posts constructive and appropriate as well. Encouraging them to post like this would benefit the community.

I don’t know why, but I am sort of excited for this.

But will they be considered RBXDev? Or should we have a new name for them, like NewbieDev

[quote] I don’t know why, but I am sort of excited for this.

But will they be considered RBXDev? Or should we have a new name for them, like NewbieDev [/quote]

New RBXDev group rank pls

Lets just call them Devlings.

I think at least some of these forums should be visible to people without an account as well.

I understand wanting to be secretive about future updates, but there’s a lot of resources about already-released things in here that would be useful to everybody with no compelling reason I’ve heard to keep secret from everybody.

The end result is that everybody in here is much better informed about a lot of things than outsiders, and it stifles new developers’ ability to learn and use features of new updates.

(maybe, if this was done, split the “Updates” forum into a “Future Updates” forum and a “Releases” forum that anybody could see, so anybody can find out the things we’re told about features that are already released easily?)

It would be hard if they weren’t allowed to know about updates. Currently it is that they cannot post in that section, but they are allowed to see it. If they were not, we would have to be even more careful not to mention them in other sections that they are allowed to see. That would be stressful.

New users will not be able to view: Lounge

So I’ve had some thought about this one, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to see this.
If they won’t be allowed that, how about a second lounge they can access, so have 2 lounges, 1 for the current RBXDev members, and the second for both.

I mean it is for socializing, what would be the downsides?

[quote] New users will not be able to view: Lounge

So I’ve had some thought about this one, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to see this.
If they won’t be allowed that, how about a second lounge they can access, so have 2 lounges, 1 for the current RBXDev members, and the second for both.

I mean it is for socializing, what would be the downsides? [/quote]

The lounge is a more unprofessional place, so maybe they’d get the wrong impression of the forums?
But honestly none of us did that…

Because if you let probation people who are potentially not mature enough post on the lounge, it will be like the ROBLOX forums. You need to make sure they’re mature enough before letting them post on a forum like the lounge.

This has now been put into effect.

[quote] This is a little bit helpful:

[/quote]

Why am I always being used as the example for the new member thing?