New material - ForceField (v2.0)

I’m not big into sci-fi, but I can think of a few applications for this with “magic” mechanics.

3 Likes

You can no longer view the amazing texture from inside of mesh forcefields, as it was double-sided but now one-sided. This was a neat feature to have and allowed creative imaginations to prosper in showcases.
Having the textures now be pixelated for a small buff in performance was a bad decision as there is no longer quality shown for forcefields. There was absolutely no reason at all to have textures be decreased in quality when it wasn’t a big performance matter to deal with.

55 Likes

Apparently some people saw fit to flag LordMerc’s comment. I, personally, see no problem with them saying this. They are simply stating their opinion on the update in a fairly respectful and analytical manner. Maybe there’s something that others saw that I didn’t?

23 Likes

I kept within my bounds and only gave criticism for this change.

10 Likes

please do so if you can
it’s a really cool material but that pixelation is really hurting some of the stuff I made

5 Likes

that’s pretty epic, thank you can do a lot more now :smiley:

3 Likes

This is super cool! I can’t wait to use it in my upcoming projects!

2 Likes

The horrendous downscaling / pixelization issues completely kill many of my uses for this feature. This amount of degradation is completely unacceptable, even if for performance reasons. Please find a way to fix this.

30 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about - I’d love to make use of that vertex painting stuff. I’m not sure I completely understand it though - are you saying that we can use vertex paint to change how the mesh looks in roblox? If so that’s super super cool and I want to see more of that stuff come out of roblox.

Man, gonna love toying with this new feature. Would look amazing in some Sci-fi FPS games. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This is awesome but my one gripe is the terrible texture quality. I really hope the engineers find a way to fix that without hurting performance soon.

1 Like

This really looks great! I’ll definitely be using it soon!

This is a great feature! I’ve noticed if you set an entire map or even a small creation to this new material, it creates a really interesting effect against a dark backdrop. Its almost as a concept art has come to life, or you have x-ray vision!

35 Likes

That’s pretty good update! One day we will not have to use Blender or anything, as we will have ROBLOX Studio, that is advance as, or more as Blender.

2 Likes

Probably won’t ever happen. The first thing they would have to add is vertex, edge and face based editing, followed by proper UV texturing, stable CSG (still can’t understand why an open-source 3D modeling software has a 100x better CSG algorithm) and all the other modifiers.

Lets not forget vector graphics importing, primitives, real sculpting tools (they are not perfect, but import a few brush textures and you have a very reliable mesh sculptor).

EDIT: Blender uses the Carve library.

8 Likes

Are you using CSGv1? If you are, you shouldn’t be. If you aren’t, and you find CSGv2 unstable, feel free to report bugs if you have see any and want to see it improve.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic

A post was merged into an existing topic: Shadow Map Technology is creating dark spots on some meshes

I don’t see any lighting issues on a standard Roblox sphere when it’s being unioned. Can you file a proper bug report for this please, with rbxm level to reproduce?

1 Like

This doesn’t look too good.

9 Likes