New Part Collision Property: CanQuery - Now Available!

isn’t that what locked is for lol

4 Likes

IIRC they both use the same raycast code internally, so I assume that it should still work properly in this case too

4 Likes

Reference to reply to this above:

3 Likes
3 Likes

oh, that definitely could use changing tbh

6 Likes

Explain Why it would need changing?

5 Likes

To note, I rely on setting a collision group on a part my plugin Studio Tweaks creates as a proxy for its own selection box override. This is necessary for obvious reasons (you don’t want to drag the selection box off of parts…). I would replace this with whatever solution Roblox provides to allow draggers to ignore parts.

2 Likes

This may cause some issues related to exploiting for shooting games, as instead of having to manipulate metatables and stuff like that to achieve wallbang, now all a exploiter has to do is set canquery to false on walls

5 Likes

Well, that’s your fault for relying on the client in the first place.

10 Likes

Roblox has been killing it with these updates as of late.

5 Likes

but I see nothing…

Instead of hiding the property entirely, I think it should be greyed out (read only state) instead so people know it exists, then you can unlock the property when CanCollide is false.

This should probably be a setting though since some users might be annoyed to see a property they don’t use often

17 Likes

im not talking about my own game, i’m talking about games like arsenal

2 Likes

This will be really helpful. I had a game with a lot of locked parts and it was difficult to work on, as you had to position the camera in odd ways to click on parts that weren’t locked.

2 Likes

It seems like I have found a bug with the CanQuery property in places with Team Create enabled, whenever I disable CanQuery it works and I can play test and it works there but if I exit the team create session and go back in the CanQuery magically re enables itself (I was the only one in the team create session when this happens).

CanQuery also doesn’t work in the Roblox application (not sure if its only enabled in studio or its a bug)

5 Likes

This is a great addition that I would definitely suggest taking advantage of. When raycasting for weapons or lighting effects, I would always have to create a blacklist table for various random things that I don’t want the raycast to interact with such as invisible blocks. Being able to check a box for a base part makes it so much more convenient for workflow. Love the feature!

2 Likes

I love performance improvements. I originally had to check if parts had CanCollide enabled and then I’d add them to a blacklist and with this it’s practically killing a thousand birds with one stone because looping through workspace everytime a player fires a bullet to perform these checks was horrible on performance.

Anyways I’m curious, if CanCollide, CanTouch, and CanQuery are all disabled, how much performance is being saved? Is it worth it to go through all parts that don’t need any collision at all and disable all three of them?

Also I can’t find a solid answer to something else collision related;

• Is there a benefit to setting CollisionFidelity to Box even if CanCollide/CanTouch/CanQuery is already disabled? Or is that a waste of time?

Definitely needed, good idea!

Additional Feedback:

It was already suggested but can the CanQuery option just be greyed out instead of completely disappearing from the properties tab?

3 Likes

hit detection is worse on the server, iirc?

1 Like

So if CanQuery is false raycast will ignore it?

1 Like

Not only raycasts, but things like region3, getpartsinpart, etc…

4 Likes

That is perfect, so we do not have to make ignore list anymore.

3 Likes