New Programs Available: “Roblox China” Licensed to Operate

“Just as us developers have chosen to or not to go for china, roblox had the same choice”
-RobertTBS, 2021

4 Likes

I hope LuoBuLeSi doesn’t have “Powering Imagination” as their slogan, because that’ll be “false advertisement”, which is illegal in China also.

anyways, best of luck to the new platform across the globe.

7 Likes

I am fully aware of the process of “opting in” for this program. My main concern was it being an eventuality for developers to make their game China complaint on the Global market after reading some comments on the topic. Some things can change very quickly, which was what I tried to express before.

Fair point. I guess I was looking over the stiff requirements for games to even be considered for the Chinese Market. I still however don’t see the creative side to the China ToS as there is blanketed censorship compared to the normal ToS, and I don’t see myself creating games that fit in with the chinese agenda.

While my fears have slightly been cured for now, I to put it short won’t be applying. Best of luck with people who are exploring this uncrossed territory.

1 Like

Once again with the straw man argument, yes Roblox has a history of games infringing on other IPs, but you bringing this up is only a poor attempt to distract from the core argument.

If you actually read the Roblox TOS relating to China as I have, you would know that the China Publisher (which is Tencent) reserves the irrevocable right to use your intellectual property for all purposes, INCLUDING creating derivative video games. Outside of China, Roblox explicitly states that they do not reserve the right to create derivative games off of your IP.

It seems to me that you have picked a side before you looked at all of the evidence.

13 Likes

Congratulations to Roblox for successfully managing to negotiate a deal for Tencent to sponsor their entry into the Chinese market. This is a huge step forward in getting Roblox out and onto the global market. I had a wonderful childhood experience playing games on Roblox and I see no reason to not expand to other marketplaces so that other people may have a similar enjoyable experience.

In my opinion, Roblox has implemented this in the best way possible by making it optional to partake in the Chinese marketplace. If anyone has any qualms about this new expansion into the Chinese market due to the stricter guidelines or personal opinions on the politics surrounding China, then they can simply not participate.

I view this as a positive thing done by Roblox as the expansion into the Chinese marketplace opens up a path to success for people who want to make a friendly “G-rated” game. Developers are often frowned upon in this community for making simplistic games such as simulators which fall under this category of G-rated. If anything, the Chinese market would be a safe haven and a blessing for these types of developers.

4 Likes

To hear this come from a former Roblox employee is actually quite scary. It goes to show how money-hungry and power-hungry Roblox appears to be becoming…

I understand the appeal. It’s a huge monetary profit. But they’re putting it into a country with some very questionable morals, to put it lightly.

I’m expecting not only this post, but my response to get removed as well, so I admire and applaud your bravery for posting this.

7 Likes

How is the argument a strawman? That implies that it is false - but it’s true, many Roblox games violate IP.

Yes, we’re aware that the TOS for the Chinese market is essentially signing away rights to your own IP. The point is that even though Roblox’s TOS for the global market supposedly protects its users IP, countless Roblox games do not respect IP and are not punished - so formally agreeing to these new TOS would not be a big difference. Publishing a game on Roblox unfortunately happens to be a decision which is already can result in one’s content being ripped, pirated, re-used, etc.

2 Likes

Exactly, there is no issue with having Tencent use your IP
as long as YOU AGREE to it.

Roblox agreed with Tencent to allow them to do this
But in order for them to use your IP, you have to agree to it.

This is literally optional.
There should be 0 issue as YOU have to be the one to allow them to do this.

2 Likes

Afaik that only applies if you are a citizen of the PRC. If you can lead me to where it does in fact apply to us I will happily retract the statement.

To put it, er, simply, money, really.

Let’s face it, China’s extremely rich. They have a vast population to the point where it’s hard to even get a home in most places. Expanding the platform into China exposes an absolutely ridiculous amount of new people to Roblox, boosting sales by a massive amount.

I don’t agree with it, at all, in fact, I’d rather Roblox NOT join the Chinese market whatsoever, even if it could be opted into, considering how shady I find China’s government and regulations as a whole.

But, the logic is there, and corporations will want money, so that’s why it’s happening. I can’t say I’m surprised, sadly.

1 Like

In order to enter the Chinese market as an “outsider”, you have to be endorsed by a company already on the inside as according to their regulations. A sponsorship by Tencent or another tech giant in China really is the only way for Roblox to enter the Chinese market. If Roblox did not work with a company in this manner, then they would not be able to access the Chinese market.

4 Likes

What if not all team members are 18+?

1 Like

That is right, in order to enter the Chinese marketplace, Roblox would need a sponsor who could help recommend them.

I see no issue with this as we do a similar thing here in the west and on Roblox.
Infact, a few roblox programs used to be recommendation only from people already in the inner circle.

IE Dev forum and UGC nominations.

3 Likes

I cant agree that policies thats the end lol

Well you can refrain from participating this programme if you disagree with it, you’re not forced to join

3 Likes

After seeing this tweet and many others, I will not be taking part with this. I do not agree with giving up all my IPs…

WARNING: publishing on Roblox China means you give up ALL of your IP rights!

9 Likes

pretty valid reasons to why a developer doesn’t want to bring their game to china.

14 Likes

If I am being honest, I get where Roblox are coming from. Obviously this is business and you gotta make profit at the end of the day. The main concerning thing is, at what cost?

We all know how China is like, the environment and the strict laws. This makes developing for a Chinese game difficult. I am 16 and I know for a fact I am never applying for this. Ye, you could earn money from this huge market but the cost though. I don’t want to create something which will restrict my creativity. Also, Chinese laws though…

If developers actually decide to go for this opportunity then go ahead. The costs might outweigh the success you could get.

Basically you don’t know what your getting yourself into.

Do you want to earn a good amount of money but having your creativity restricted?

Good luck to the devs who actually apply for this, you will seriously need it.

2 Likes

I gotta say the submission requirements are pretty extreme…

Not being able to have any form of “violence” seems to be pretty weird, because Roblox was a platform that was birthed from brickbattle type games.

I can understand why, but these regulations only leave a few games that can actually enter and even so, you give up your IP.

2 Likes

This is concerning. Encouraging and incentivising developers to associate with a country that is committing genocide, covered up a pandemic-causing disease, Is imposing tyranny on its people while stripping the rights of people in Hong Kong through police brutality, and is known for stealing intellectual property is not good for brand image…

At the very least Roblox needs to address our concerns and answer the following questions:

1. Why, given the intensifying horrific actions of the CCP, does Roblox want to be associated with China, aside from profit?

2. What risks are there to our IP being stolen and how will Roblox prevent or mitigate this?

3. When will you start informing us of the truth - giving the full picture - BOTH the positives and negatives of working with China - not just the positives?

4. How will this affect Roblox’s reputation and brand image?

13 Likes