New Property ClickDetector.CursorIcon

This new property allows you to customize the click detector mouse hover icon to better fit the aesthetic of your game and to distinguish objects to players.

For example, you could have a money icon when mousing over a shop NPC and a tool icon when mousing over a blacksmith NPC.

Cool Sunglasses click detector mouse icon:

67 Likes

Oooh, very nice! I could see people using this as a mechanic for puzzles as well, along with a few other uses. Maybe a fighting game where you can punch projectiles back at an enemy?

2 Likes

This is perfect – I noticed it the other day when I was considering whether or not to suggest ClickDetectors to another developer. On a previous project I had to really hackily implement this by detecting whether or not the mouse was over an active GUI element, and if it wasn’t, detect whether it was over any ClickDetectors, and if it was, change the cursor.

On a sidenote, are there any plans to give a facelift to the default ClickDetector icon?

8 Likes

To be honest it’s about time this way added! Bravo indeed. I’m sure this will make ClickDetectors used a lot more.

Oh man, i know i will use this at some point. yay!

1 Like

About time. No more lengthy scripts to change an icon on hover.

4 Likes

This is great! No more people thinking the game is a bit shabby since I’m just using plain old clickdetectors with the plain old cursor.

Thank you very much! Quite handy!

Could we have the ability to use this with UI as well? I have a small dot mouse icon for my game, and with every UI button I hover over, it turns it into the regular arrow ROBLOX has, while I do have my own cursor for that, and I need to do a hacky way around it.

7 Likes

Little note: The resolution of the asset you use as the cursor icon affects the cursor’s size.

7 Likes

This does leave me with a question. Is the mouse the same resolution on higher res screens, leading to a smaller mouse the higher res the monitor, or is it the same size relative to what it would be on a lower res monitor?

1 Like

It’s probably like it is on (most) operating systems, it being at the native resolution. If you go to your screen settings and change the display resolution to something smaller than your current, your mouse will look bigger (e.g. your monitor is 1080p but you set it to 720p, so the 720 pixels (in height) are “spread” over 1080 and looks bigger)

Only thing I’m not sure about is what it would be on phones (if they had cursors), as I think roblox renders at 1080p or something for iPhones that only have a 480p display or something like that. Forgot the specifics, but they rendered big and downscaled, I think.

Exactly what I needed! :smiley: