Nexus Embedded Editor - "Hacky" Method to Overlay External Editors over Roblox Studio (No Longer Maintained)

Great work on the plugin!

Also, is there a way to change the window size of vscode when overlapping it on studio? My laptop screen isn’t as long as most others and it goes over other views.

2 Likes

Resizing isn’t great with this setup. To do so, you need to first select Roblox Studio, resize the script editor window, and then focus the editor window again. Attempting to automate resizing of the Roblox Studio script editor was not something I wanted to try to implement.

1 Like

I guess that’ll be an issue with my current views setup because I can’t shrink the explorer/property views any further, which leaves changing how the views are arranged or move them to the other side of the screen so that only the scrollbar is off the laptop’s screen.

2 Likes

The explorer and properties windows seem oddly wide for the maximum size. There may be another window that has a max bounds that is oddly big, like Rojo. There isn’t much I can do on my end because I don’t have a way of knowing if a window was intentionally resized or Roblox Studio was intentionally resized and that it should resize to it.

4 Likes

Yep it was Rojo, closing it made vscode fit perfectly when attaching, thanks a lot!

4 Likes

This plugin is very buggy in team create places. Ill often loose the code that I was working on and be unable to get it back. I do not recommend using this in team create games!

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to work for me, it just threw a bunch of errors on me.

1 Like

It looks like Roblox changed the behavior with HttpService:GetAsync() to not throw an error if the server returned a HTTP 4XX/HTTP 5XX error. I will create a bug report for this. If this is intended, I will update the plugin to address this.

2 Likes

The bug mentioned above is actually a feature (GetAsync and PostAsync No Longer Error with HTTP Errors). I have updated the plugin to reflect the changes to behavior. All that is needed is to update the Roblox Studio plugin since the executable is the same.

2 Likes

This is so awesome I really hate the roblox studio code editor!

1 Like

Hi,
It seems like I’m running into another bug with the editor which causes the icons to not show up on the plugin bar.
Here is the error that is occouring:

Sorry for the trouble!

2 Likes

This is most likely a problem with the underlying framework that I use, which I will be addressing soon-ish indirectly, but will back-port to fix this and several other plugins.

I expect to start this next week, but don’t expect the plugin to be fixed for 2 weeks or so. I am at the mercy of my school schedule, current project, and burnout.

At this point, I have ended support for the project. I am anticipating that the Roblox Studio detection will break at some point within the next year as it did in April. When this happens, I am not planning to fix it because of how much time it requires me to fix, as well as the fact I don’t use the plugin anymore (or really ever did. This was just one of those “this may work…” projects). The exception is for problems in Nexus Plugin Framework, which actually is blocking me from using some of my existing plugins. Problems in Nexus Plugin Framework will be addressed.

2 Likes

Ended up being spot on with the prediction. The fix is up, which ended up being two-fold:

• Something was wrong with the logic of how Nexus Plugin Framework wraps instances, which was patched but not fully corrected.
  • Some of the studio theme color enums were removed, which resulted in a syntax error.
1 Like

For some reason it is not working for me.

1 Like

A small feature request is pushing the window in about 1px on each side if there’s another Qt widget there, since this is what Studio does, it makes the window look more “docked in” instead of being popped out.

I don’t know how feasible this is though so /shrug

1 Like

At this point, I’ve stopped contributing to the project except for the dependencies. Pull requests are open for these types of changes, but I don’t intend on implementing these requests myself.

1 Like

There seems to be an issue that must have popped up recently, when i press connect and attach the window doesn’t show above the roblox studio window so i kept retrying and eventually it broke and doesn’t even open VS Code. I Did get this gl disabled error tho. image

1 Like

As a reminder,

A fix for this is dependent on someone creating a pull request for it on GitHub.

1 Like

Those watching the repository may have noticed a bit of activity. In preparation to hand off the project to someone at some point - not sure when - I removed Nexus Plugin Framework since it has been the cause of several instances of the plugin breaking. Nothing has functionally changed except the file size of the plugin is drastically smaller.

Part of the reason I am seeking to transfer ownership is I am planning on moving to Linux on all my systems this year. The underlying functionality in .NET Framework and now .NET Core is Windows only, so Nexus Embedded Editor is unable to function on Linux, and even if it did, it is a project I never adopted myself and would not port myself to Linux.

This project has gotten a lot more traction than I expected, and my plan to move to Linux will make it very impractical for me to maintain this project. I will archive the repository in 2 months and will not be maintaining the project anymore. If anyone else wants to maintain the project - go ahead. It will be without me though.