Oculus VR app always opens upon launching Studio or Roblox even if I turn off VR mode, and if I close it, Roblox and/or Studio Closes

So for some reason, it literally just launches out of nowhere. If I close it, Roblox will close completely. I have to restart my computer to stop this issue. I don’t know how to fix it? No other posts are similar to mine, except one which has no fix for this issue…

It started happening when I got my headset, which was like in 2019.
It happens every single time when I launch Roblox or Studio after disconnecting my headset and doesn’t stop unless I restart.
It doesn’t happen at a time, it always just happens after I disconnect my headset.
I didn’t connect it to play Roblox VR, I played totally different titles, it still happens.

12 Likes

Having the same issue, but I can’t turn the VR mode off since the ROBLOX client has zero support for the Valve Index so I can’t even play any games anymore without VR mode being on 24/7.

6 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

7 Likes

Hi I’m actually receiving this issue too. Just encountered it today and it keeps closing my game, then when I try reopening it, I get the message ‘game launched from another device’

4 Likes

using an oculus quest 2, my only way of making it stop is by literally restarting my computer.

also sometimes it will start to get laggy and upon joining games it will say my computers graphics card is outdated for roblox (which its clearly not, i have a new very good graphics card and this only affects during vr mode).

also, there is no way to exit roblox in vr unless i take off the headset and forcibly close it (meaning alt f4 or closing window or taskmanager, esc l enter doesn’t even work).

another thing is i cant turn iff vr mode unless i hook up oculus and have it fullfill a “request” (which half the time i have to restart the headset or my pc to get it connected).

btw, this is all using oculus link, however ik many of these problems occur with other headsets and devices, meaning some problems are a thing roblo needs to fix, which to be fair i think vr mode just needs to entirely be redone as lets be real, its very buggy, deprecated, and honestly not very “high quality” when it comes to stuff like its ui (like how i literally cannot exit the game and the weird in vr mode symbol on the computers screen.)

also, maybe roblox could redo vr on roblox, and maybe make roblox in some vr stores (like the oculus store) and vr could be a official compatibility/device on roblox!

hopefully roblox can fix some of the bugs on there side (and oculus fix oculus link), and maybe robloz could even invest more into vr?

just saw this, but no i still encounter this issue and others a lot, vr in roblox is extremely buggy for me.

4 Likes

I am having this issue as well with my Oculus Quest two. When I launch Roblox the Oculus app opens as well, closing the Oculus app causes roblox to close roughly 30 seconds after. The only fix I have seen is to either use task manager to force quit the OVRServer process before opening roblox or to restart the computer.

7 Likes

Using an Oculus Quest 2, I can confirm that this issue occurs. The Oculus Link pipeline is designed to stream inputs and outputs between the Oculus runtime and the client application (Roblox). As such, even though disabling VR in the GlobalBasicSettings_13.xml file prevents any VR elements from working, Oculus will still register Roblox as an application and will continue to treat it as such until OVRServer is quit out of in Task Manager (as mentioned by OfficerGibbie).

Currently the only solution that can definitely stop Oculus from interfering with Roblox is to remove the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Oculus VR, LLC\Oculus\ShowServiceConsole, but affecting the keys in RegEdit is not exactly the safest nor the smartest idea. There is technically another way using Services in Windows 10, but it’s not a definitive solution.

This is a frustrating experience for many, and for a VR headset line that takes up about 30% of Steam’s total playerbase, a bug that ends up affecting a large amount of VR users on Roblox. I experienced this myself attempting to use a Valve Index with Revive (which is a compatibility layer between the Oculus SDK and OpenVR). I closed out of the Oculus app believing I didn’t need it, and noticed that Roblox closed shortly after.

Oculus treating Roblox as a VR application despite it not being VR seems more dependent on Oculus’ part than it does with Roblox, but that still doesn’t mean that it isn’t impossible to fix. In Unity, the boolean VRSettings.enabled and the string VRSettings.LoadDeviceByName allows for VR to be enabled and disabled, affecting OpenVR.

While not an entirely critical bug, fixing this should allow for a better experience in VR. Having to disable the OVRServer and being unable to access the Oculus Link app, in order to accommodate for Roblox, sounds more like a workaround than a fix.

2 Likes

Coming back to this, I also have no idea how to stop Oculus from opening up with Roblox Studio. Similar to an above reply, every time I open up Roblox Studio, Oculus opens up with it and if I close the Oculus app then Roblox Studio will close shortly after. There’s no option in Studio nor Oculus to disable the use of VR.

1 Like

ik its somewhat of an old topic and you guys already probably found your solutions, but on my old laptop i put a administrator lock so oculus couldnt open unless i authorized it to, like when you open grand theft auto

i got a new pc and now i forgot how i did that so im currently looking around but i know its just simple

I had the same issue a while back for both Roblox and Roblox studio but resolved it (after checking on the forums) by simply R clicking on my oculus app, then going to Properties → Compatibility ->Run this program as Administrator

1 Like

Just got my headset and played some Roblox games with it today, I have the same issue (with Roblox and Roblox Studio), I haven’t restarted my computer yet but I wonder if a fix is still being investigated for this.

1 Like

People with this issue can use this as an alternative:
Open Task Manager
Click on Services tab
Look for “OVRService”
Right click and click Stop
Now Run Roblox Client/Studio

To re-enable Oculus, you can restart the pc or just right click OVRService again and click Start.

5 Likes

It has been one year since this was noticed by Roblox. I am still having this issue, every time I close the Oculus app, Roblox closes because oculus closes all games where “VR” is active. Guessing oculus thinks Roblox is using VR, even when the headset is not even plugged in. Hoping they look back into this topic.

2 Likes

disconnect one of the wires, that helps
it works for me

I think this has already been resolved, due to Roblox now implementing support for the Valve Index as stated in: Roblox VR System Update

This is still an issue, and it’s extremely frustrating when trying to play a game. Upon opening an experience, all of my UI (including the core UI) is destroyed, and I cannot play the game.

1 Like

Sorry for the necropost but there is a solution that is pretty old

On oculus app, open properties, advanced, and make sure Run as administrator is checked. This will make oculus unable to open unless you open it

This is because you do not gracefully exit PC VR mode before disconnecting your link cable, you can fix it by clicking exit Rift mode in VR. Or Oculus Client → settings → beta → restart Oculus

1 Like