Only receiving one variable in spite of what is supposed to be sent

This works fine, actual issue stated above

I’m trying to detect what a player is saying to give certain commands to an NPC by checking if the message they send is equal to a certain prompt for said command, however, I’m finding that only one command is being received regardless of what you say, even if it’s not a string listed:

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local event = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").Events.Coordinate

Enabled = false

player.Chatted:Connect(function(msg) 
	if Enabled == true then return end
	Enabled = true

if msg:lower() == "stop" then
		print(msg)
		event:FireServer("Stop")

elseif msg:lower() == "grab" then
		print(msg)
		event:FireServer("Grab")

elseif msg:lower() == "follow" then
		print(msg)
		event:FireServer("Follow")

else
		return
	end
	wait(0.5)
	Enabled = false
end)

In a seperate script, I print the specific command which was sent through with the event:

Any ideas on whats going wrong here? I’m completely lost considering it should only be passing the event if the specific message is received.

Hmm, that’s strange. Could you provide the server script as well? (Or at least the part that picks up the remote event?)

I’ve played around with the script a little more, and it’s not the specific commands alone, rather if I list a lot of words which may trigger the event, it messes up. This is what I had in the script:

Enabled = true

if msg:lower() == "stop" or "stand still" or "stop now" or "wait" or "wait here" or "wait there" or "stop right there" or "stop there" or "stay" or "stay there" or "stay right there" or "freeze" or "stay put" or "halt" then
			print(msg)

elseif msg:lower() == "grab" or "grab him" or "grab her" or "grab them" or "grab it" then
			print(msg)

elseif msg:lower() == "follow" or "follow me" or "come on" or "come" or "come with me" then
			print(msg)

else
			return
		end
		wait(0.5)
		Enabled = false
end)

I’m still unsure why it doesn’t allow me to check multiple strings, but if I just have a standalone word then it works perfectly fine.

Show the other script? where the event gets connected

Well, the main issue here is that if there is no possible command found, the script returns before able to set Enabled to false again, causing it to not be useable afterwards.

Thats another issue but I think its the arguments he’s passing that is the main issue.

if RS.Events.Coordinate.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player,action)
				Enabled = true
				print(action)
				Coordinating = true

spawn(function()
					if action == "Stop" then
						Commanded = true
						configs.StandStill(npc)
						configs.Grab(npc,action)

elseif action == "Follow" then
						Commanded = true
						orientNPC(npc,player)

while wait(updateTime) and action == "Follow" do
							if targetX < configs.ActionDistance*2 then
								orientNPC(npc,player.Character)
								configs.StandStill(npc)

elseif targetX < configs.AggroDistance/10 then
								configs.Aggro(player.Character,false)
							end
						end

end
				end)
				wait(0.4)
				Enabled = false
				wait(0.7)
				Commanded = false
			end) then
		end
	end
end

Why dont you put the Print in the string Check to make sure it’s printing what it needs to??

Try this script and see if it works.

Enabled = true

if msg:lower() == "stop" or msg:lower() == "stand still" or msg:lower() == "stop now" or msg:lower() == "wait" or msg:lower() == "wait here" or msg:lower() == "wait there" or msg:lower() == "stop right there" or msg:lower() == "stop there" or msg:lower() == "stay" or msg:lower() == "stay there" or msg:lower() == "stay right there" or msg:lower() == "freeze" or msg:lower() == "stay put" or msg:lower() == "halt" then
		print(msg)

elseif msg:lower() == "grab" or msg:lower() == "grab him" or msg:lower() == "grab her" or msg:lower() == "grab them" or msg:lower() == "grab it" then
		print(msg)

elseif msg:lower() == "follow" or msg:lower() == "follow me" or msg:lower() == "come on" or msg:lower() == "come" or msg:lower() == "come with me" then
		print(msg)

else
		return
	end
	wait(0.5)
	Enabled = false
end)
1 Like

This worked, thank you.
Do you know if there’s any way I could condense this down into a table which can be checked… I feel it’ll get too bulky if I add these long lines like this everywhere

if msg:lower() == "stop" or "stand still"

will always evaluate to either true or “stand still” (which isn’t nil or false) because that’s basically a lua ternary operator, therefore it will always run what’s in the first if condition

You have to compare each string separately with its own == like so

if msg:lower() == "stop" or msg:lower() == "stand still"

If you want, you can just make a table of words and then use table.find or if table[msg] == true

local stopWords = {
	['stop'] = true,
	['stand still'] = true
}
local msgLower = msg:lower()
if stopWords[msgLower] == true then
    print(msg)
end
2 Likes

Thank you for the help, I’ve just tried this out and it has worked perfectly