[OPEN] Hiring a Variety of Developers

Introduction/Background

Introduction

Over the past few years, Roblox games has been degrading. In my opinion, games and focus have driven away from the most important aspect of games. They should be fun. I am not here to point fingers, and I do expect a lot of complaints. In its current stage, 90% of the games you see being played are more or less the same. They are focused on the business aspect, whether as a cash grab simulator or as a cash grab RPG game. The focus has generally been centered around profit and taking money from kids. In addition, these are short term games. If this game dies, we’ll make another one for profit. I remember at least 10 years ago, when while quality of games were lower, Roblox was more widespread. You had more people playing. You have parent playing with kids, and it was more focused on Quality of Life than Profit of Life.
In addition, there was more creativity. Now in an attempt to achieve the better game, players are copying each other’s ideas in order to make a “better version” of their idea.

Another problem with the good, original games that are trying to come out is that they are hardly successful. It usually is a fault within the dev team. This can be from lack of planning, lack of incentive, lack of work ethic, and many other factors. This could also be a fault within the premise of the community. The game just isn’t popular, or the team can’t get updates out in time to meet the demands of the community. The final problem, would be the leader of the Developer Team. The leader of the developer team much be strong willed, as to not be pushed around. The leader must be able to make appropriate decisions that doesn’t hinder the team, nor the game potential. They must take an appropriate stand on game decisions and suggestions for the sake of the game and the community. While it is fine to listen and consider decisions of the community, it is important to take a stand on what to accept and what to reject. At the same time, it is adverse to the development of the game to block out the community as a whole. It is all about balance and knowing how to be in control when leading these sort of things.

What should Roblox be and what makes Roblox so great of a Resource?
The nice thing about Roblox is that it is an easy-to-use platform that gives young children a first-hand experience, a leap into the Game Development World. Players are more upfront and live in developing games, compared to using different interfaces such as Scratch and Unreal. The platform is simple enough where young developers can flourish. The current problem is that < 1% of the player community are composed of developers which also shows for the lack of games. Aspiring game developers shouldn’t be limited to simple mechanics of Roblox, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get first-hand experience. Roblox is a flexible platform where there are plenty of customizable things a player can do. This goes from custom art, UI, Rigs, Models, and etc. Compare it to a game such as Minecraft where art and design is limited to pixelated blocks, voxels, and Cube Maps. The Developer Exchange Program is a cool resource for players as young as 13 to earn some coin on the side. But it should not be the focus of Game Development, especially in Roblox. Players will earn a lot more working for professional Game Development companies than Roblox.

We are Hiring the following:

Some people may be able to fit one or more roles.

• Environmental Designers/Builders (Multiple?)
  • Clothes Designer
  • Graphics Designer [Optional]
  • Sound effects
  • 3D Modeler - Specializes in Custom Rigs/Mobs
  • 3D Modeler - Specializes in 3D Meshes for Armor and Accessories
  • 3D Modeler - Specializes in Weapons

About Us

Hello all, apologies for the lengthy introduction. We are Lost In Time Studios (LiT Studios). The game we are making is truly a massive one. This will be a long-term game.
Archaic Revelations (ARE-KAY-IK REV-EL-AY-SHENS)

About the Game

It is a large, complicated, Open World MMORPG game. Indeed, Archaic Revelations is a complicated name and most likely difficult to pronounce for most. In general, we will abbreviate AR. Who knows, I would be glad for people to mistake AR for Archaic Revelations instead of Augmented Reality. As a whole, the name explains the game.
I rather not disclose the primary objective of the game upfront. All I can provide is that it will be a multi-part storyline that ties together single player and multiplayer games. The game will enforce collaboration between players. Many ideas have yet to flourish and further develop as the game goes on. The goal is to provide a quality, optimized game for players that provides a fun, challenging aspect to gameplay. I cannot provide details directly, due to links that violate the Forum Rules, but you can contact me via Contacts at the bottom of the page. I do have a 70-page Design Document that covers most of the game, with room to flatten out specifics. It is public, but I cannot provide it in this post since it may possess content that violates forum rules. I also possess a trello for planning.
Overall the game will seem impractical on the Roblox platform, but it is all the better.
For the fun of it, we might sneak of references to other games and stuff in the future! :slight_smile:

I am open to Game Suggestions, but I refuse to sacrifice the quality of the game to make things easier. Once the ideas on the Design Doc are implemented, will I be looking towards the community.

As this is a massive game, there will be 3 primary obstacles we will encounter.

1. Optimization
  2. Exploitation
  3. Securing the Player Base and promotion of the Game

Most of these have been accounted for, but overall the game will require lots of testing and playing around.

As the game is intended to have a challenging aspect to it, it is likely to be more focused towards the older audiences of 10+. I still think we underestimate the younger audience though. We will have to play around with the tutorial aspects in an attempt to engage the younger audience as well.

The Team
@DarkLizz- Programmer/Project Lead
@GrenadeNade- Trial Dev: UI Designer
Vacant - Environmental Designer(s)
Vacant - Animator
Vacant - Sound Effects
@Mukar - Music Producer
Vacant - Graphics
Vacant - 3D Modeler: Custom Rigs/Mobs
Vacant - 3D Modeler: Armor and Accessories
Vacant - 3D Modeler: Weapons
@sliceofbliss - Trial Dev: 3d Modeling Weapons
Vacant - Male Voice Actor(s)
Vacant - Female Voice Actor(s)
We do offer Trial Services for other roles for aspiring developers, but we are looking for necessary developers to fill in the above roles.

As I am a lone programmer, there isn’t really much I can show about the game. All I can provide is that it will be slow-moving and a work in progress, but we will be working to completion.

About The Job

All positions will more or less be associated with an interview in addition to the Google Form Application to see if you will fit the vibe of the team.
Background checks will also be conducted as necessary, especially on Modelers to guarantee the ingenuity of the models. I have a strict policy when it comes from stealing work. It is suggested to provide original models, you can even sign it. No work will be used without the approval of the creator.
Communication Skills are absolutely necessary.
Must speak English.
Professionality and Maturity should be a given.

Animating

Minimal Criteria:

• Experienced in Skeletal-Based Animations
  • Experienced in a variety of Animations and Animation Styles
    Why Skeletal-based versus posed?
    The problem with pose-based animation styles is that it isn’t as fine-tune. It is more difficult to accurately stop an animation midway and track where I am in the animation, versus a skeletal-based animation.
Environmental Design

Minimal Criteria:
Experienced in at least one of the Following:

• Terrain Building
  • Texturing
  • Lighting
  • General Aesthetics
  • Beams, Rays, and Explosions with Restraint and Optimization
  • Building with Models (Blender)
  • Other Building Aspects
  • Quality & Optimization

The map itself will be zone based. The general environment and ground will be built with the Terrain editor. Regions will be rendered by Voxel. Buildings, trees, and etc will be built from Mesh Models. We will not be using Roblox parts and unions for the models and buildings.

Sound Effects

Minimal Criteria:

• Have a Microphone
  • Recording software
  • Able to make a variety of sounds of varying pitch through voice or software
Graphics

Minimal Criteria:

• Some legitimate Graphics Program i.e Photoshop and Illustrator
  • Experienced in graphical tools such as blurring, noise, blooming effects, etc.
  • Experienced Artist

Will likely be commissioned based.

3D Modeling

Minimal Criteria:

• Experienced in Blender
  • Able to make quality, yet low poly models.
    The idea is that while the models are low poly, they give the illusion/appearance of a higher poly model. This generally is more specific to smooth shading and texturing.
    Please provide Tris count for each model.
    I suggest showing finished models as well as Tris Count.

In due time, we expect simple assets to take up to a day, larger assets (like bosses) would be longer.

If an applicant shows promise, but doesn’t quite meet the criteria, we can offer to hire you as a Trial Developer.

Trial Developer

Trial Developer is the same thing as “Developer-in-Training”.
You will be treated similar to a developer. You will be expected to require more time to do your work (but you should probably finish before I do). I have resources, we are willing to work with you to bring you up to speed within the bounds of the criteria. I will be picky with assets. You will only be paid for successful assets/commissions early on. Unsuccessful assets will not be used, but you can keep them for your use. Payment will be the same as every other developer. We essentially will test you to see if you can reach the point of a solid, reliable developer.

Notes:

As there is lots of programming necessary, primary delays will be centered around the programming aspect. It will be slowgoing early on, please bear with. I don’t limit developers strictly to my team, so long as work is done as necessary, and you are available as necessary.

I am flexible, and negotiations can almost always be made once in the team! :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the link to the application form.

Payment

This may be a turning point for a lot of you. I am indeed looking for a certain criteria for the game. One of them is developers that aren’t focused on the money aspect.
Think of this as an internship. You will receive plenty of experience with us in the game development business, with some extra coin along the way.

How payments will work is starting out, as this isn’t a legitimate game as of yet, developers will receive starting payments on a commission-basis. Developers will receive payments only on successful commissions. Rejected commissions won’t be paid for, nor will they used. Should the game be successful, you will be asked to continue long-term and will be paid based on a % of the group revenue.

Models, clothes, and other meshes will be paid by commission, but preferably by with the same developer.

Builders, Programmers, and Music-related positions would transition to % based payment.

All paid assets are restricted to the game and cannot be used for other purposes. You won’t be permitted to use assets outside the game for other games. Portfolios are fine. If you wish to showcase your work to others, that is fine as well.

Should the game be unsuccessful, I’ll simply be going back to the drawing board (as I don’t plan on giving this one up).

As stated above, this will not be a pay to play game. You will be paid fairly among your peers. Just do not expect to be making the big bucks. Each of us will receive our fair share of payment. Starting payments will be in Robux. Robux will primarily be earned through donations and gamepasses.
It is possible in the future, there may be other forms in payment relating to USD as I do have a viable PayPal.

What to expect from me:

I will be willing to dedicate time outside of work to work on the game. As I said, updates will be slowgoing, but I will keep the team up to date as often as possible. I will be a fair developer. I don’t play favorites, everyone will receive their fair share of payment. My developers will receive the necessary kindness and fairness they deserve.

Contact Us

For more information regarding the Development or the Game:
You can contact us here on the Developer Forum or other forms of contact:
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DarkLizzDev
Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/dg_dev
Discord:
Lizz#1111

As I currently have a lot of friend requests, you can also reply with your portfolio and I am willing to check them in due time.
You must be 13 years or older to apply.
Trial Developers applying for 3D Modeling for Custom Rigs and stuff

Please Note:

There are lots of details I left out or may have forgotten. Be sure to contact me in the future if you need more information!

Developer Application Form:

https://forms.gle/uuUYrzzLE6GKdwH58
Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

At first, I thought you were about to pull off payment in exposure, lol.

What is your definition of a successful commission? Is it whatever you see as fit and aesthetically pleasing? Or does it have to meet some sort of criteria?

Can you please provide what % will be offered if unsuccessful?

Pretty sure graphics are mainly hired as commissions unless you have plans to change the game thumbnail more often.

Do you mean animation with Rthro, which has more parts in the body to animate?

Thank you.
Regards, Freeze

No as I will be using custom Rigs 18-parts and rigging them myself, not Rthro. Graphics will be commissions likely true, its not like I focused on every aspect of it. If the game is unsuccessful, It won’t reach the point of % revenue. Successful is basically what I see that meets the criteria I’m looking for whether its a model or a building or an animation. I intend to have a quality game between gameplay and aesthetics. This means that high standards will be maintained.

It’ll also be likely I’ll have to recode the Roblox Physics and collisions as well in interaction with the character.

Sent you an invite on discord. Interested in the 3d modeler aspects

I am in no rush to hire the appropriate developers, therefore applications will remain open until I have acquired all the necessary developer positions.

1 Like

I would like to apply. [quote=“DarkLizz, post:1, topic:411615”]
Sound Effects/Music Producer
[/quote]

Discord DevNetCheese#1754

1 Like

You get paid in an internship usually. Why would we work based on commissions? What’s the benefits working with you?

Actually working with a dev who’s game is decently known cough(Astral Hearts)cough I might be bias because I’m commissioned by them but I don’t rmbr you doing anything memorable and the pay is nice if you read the Google doc they already have a solid plan no winging it or anything. That’s why you should work with them but that’s up to you.

1 Like

The reasoning why I start out based on commissions is because I don’t know how successful this game will be in its early stages. I don’t want to bind someone to a game that I am unsure will work out in the end. Should the game become successful, will I be able to transition from commissions to a regular rate. In my opinion, once we get to full release, the game should take off. It is just a matter of getting there.

In order for me to treat your project like an internship, you need a demonstrated track record of being worth my time. You have no past track record of managing such a large team, and I can’t see involvement from you on any major projects. That, combining the fact that you were very vague on specifically how much pay you’d be willing to offer, makes me skeptical as an applicant of your ability to fairly pay such a large team.

This is an incredibly complex, time-consuming game concept and not a lot of these end up on the front page or become very successful.

This raises red flags from me. Enforcing collaboration between players sounds great, but it can quickly lead to frustration and bad game design.

Why is this a secret until we apply?

This is a huge selling point, you need to convince us you know how to combat these issues, because if you convince us you do, then we have faith your game will succeed. But you never go into details!

This is an odd demographic for roblox, but Rogue Lineage did okay with it, so it’s not impossible.

9 team members, for one project. That’s a lot for a first project… If your game makes 1 million robux a month, which is an absurd amount for a first game, that would still only yield a $350/mo return for every dev. And some positions are not equal to others.

Your project sounds very ambitious, and I will be keeping an eye on your group to see how it shapes up. But I feel it nessecary to express these concerns to give an insight onto why i didn’t apply.

Good luck with the project, my friend!

I’m definitely interested in this entire idea, as I share common-ground among most of your points. However, I am still experimenting with GUIs and Programming. (I have actually started thinking about Graphics and Low Poly Building earlier today as well.)

Will you have two positions open for Trial Dev? And will I be able to join the team as a Trial Dev in multiple positions?

Thank you,

• HumorousSilence
    𝐿𝑜𝓇𝒹_𝒱𝓎𝓁𝒾𝓀𝓍#7535
1 Like

I currently work a full time job as a Software Developer, so payment isn’t the issue. Indeed, the game is very ambitious as is the idea. I did say that the game isn’t dedicated to making profit. The reason why I can’t post the Design document is that there are certain links and etc in there that violate the Forum’s rules. The Design Document itself is public. I do provide lots of information, but its on the discord. In terms of enforcing collaboration, the game is open-ended enough where its not like you have to stick with players every step of the way.
As for track record, I have none so to speak.
I only work on one game: Astral:Hearts.
I am working on a commission as we speak, but my ability to show is fairly limited.
As for managing a large team, I hope my legitimate job will suffice as a mix of managing large teams and working in large teams.
Any game specifics I am willing to go hand and hand.
I spent a good 6 hours writing this application, I didn’t really have the time to spend going on in details. As I said, I provide information to contact me if you wish for more details. Some of them are completely flattened out, others I plan to approach better when I get to that point in my plan.

I simply am searching for multiple positions. It is possible that I will meet developers that cover most of these positions. That doesn’t mean I am not willing to take new developers under my wing. Trial Developer position itself is a Trial. Just a test run, but I am willing to have it for multiple positions for new aspiring developers. I don’t mind helping out when it comes to Programming and GUIs as I am all for teaching and helping aspiring, new developers.

Will we be notified if we are accepted or not?

Glad to hear it! I’m glad someone is doing this, and I hope to be accepted and educated here!

• HumorousSilence
1 Like

It would be easier if I notify all who has been accepted rather than go to each, individual person. But once I make a decision, if an applicant comes up and asks why they didn’t get accepted, I don’t mind pointing out reasons. I remember for a lot of professional interviews, I was left dumbfounded on what I did wrong that didn’t give me the position.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.