Opinions on a lego game

So my brother basically had this idea of making a lego game on Roblox where the concept of the game is building creations with small blocks. He asked me to put this on the developer forum because he cant post yet. What are you opinions?

8 Likes

You’re most likely going to get a DMCA request, lego does not like roblox.

3 Likes

Its a good idea but there is one thing you have to keep in mind. Don’t make it look too much like lego or the lego company might send you a DMCA request for copyright reasons.

2 Likes
4 Likes

well technically Roblox has studs and robloxian 3.0 is a lego figure :thinking:

1 Like

I would simply create a game where you do in fact build with pieces, but avoid and be really careful with any mentions to the actual LEGO company due to the legal reasons others are commenting on.

1 Like

The idea of building games on Roblox has been used a lot of times, although if you can make the idea yours and make it original and a fun game to play (without making Lego mad), I’d say go for it.

1 Like

Okay thanks for the suggestion

Please do not post by proxy for another user who does not have access to the Developer Forum. Additionally, be wary of copyright before going ahead with this.

I’ve recategorised this to Game Design Support because this is a question related to a very specific case that you wish to bring up. Development Discussion should only be used for topics in general about Roblox development.

4 Likes

It’s a good idea but I wouldn’t risk it.

1 Like

just call them Eggos instead of Legos -nevermind, thats a brand too…

Dont take my word for it, but the most proprietary thing about legos seems to be the interlocking mechanism (I mean, if you take that away, legos become plastic rectangles.)

Either way, I think it would be hard to position and connect bricks in roblox with a lego style interlocking mechanism. I would recommend maybe using “line force” as a magnetic interlocking system to position and hold parts together.

Cool! Just don’t make the “Lego” Blocks too realistic. The company might send you a DMCA request. I also made some games outside of Roblox who got Off the market just because it looked too much like lego. (Lego Might really come to Roblox or just staff. be careful about it!)

Thank you all for your opinions! I’ll see if I can go through with the project!

Roblox changed their studs look in 2009 I believe to a square instead of round studs.

Yeah but theyre still studs and ironically 3.0 avatars still exists :grinning:

Studs are studs you can’t copyright a stud that doesn’t even look like Lego’s studs. There’s nothing wrong with 3.0 avatars, they don’t have copyrighted assets.

I agree you can’t “own” a shape, but you must be careful if you want to specifically mention the company LEGO.

Exactly, you can’t copyrighted simple shapes, but you can copyright more complex shapes.

1 Like

I think it’s a little bit different if they’re related, and therefore the OP likely has somewhat of a say in the game, enough to be considered a developer of said game.

Like others have said building games and copyright claims both have existed plentifully, so be careful. Sounds kinda fun though.

If OP isn’t explicitly a developer for that game, then the relationship between them and the other person is irrelevant: proxy posting is not allowed on the Developer Forum regardless. The interpretation of the rule does not change based on one’s relation with another beyond membership on a team.