Orbital trajectory problem

so I’m trying to make a trajectory for orbiting object but the output(blue dot) is like this
note: I give the object initial velocity(assemblylinearvelocity) so it orbit. the white path is from trails, I’m using the trail to see how the trajectory path should be.

what I want is the trajectory is the same as the white path. also, I want to make sure that the blue dot is enough for any type of orbit so the orbit trajectory not like this

my setup

here is the script (child of the object)

--PartA is anchored 
while wait(0.05) do
	--gravity effect
	local arah = (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Unit --direction
	local force = 10 * script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2 -- Im using newtonial gravity equation, 10 is the constant
	script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity -= arah * force * 0.05/script.Parent:GetMass()

--trajectory stuff
	fakeVel = script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity
	fakePos = script.Parent.Position
	workspace.inst:ClearAllChildren() --clear the old blue dot trajectory
	for i = 0,50,1 do
		local dis = (fakePos - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Unit
		local force = 10 * script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (fakePos - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2
		fakeVel -= dis * force * 0.05/script.Parent:GetMass() -- 0.05 is the delta time
		fakePos = fakePos + fakeVel * 0.05 -- 0.05 is the delta time
		local a = Instance.new("Part",workspace.inst)
		a.Position = fakePos
		a.Size = Vector3.new(0.1,0.1,0.1)
		a.CanCollide = false
		a.Anchored = true
		a.Material = "Neon"
		a.Color = Color3.fromRGB(87, 255, 250)
		a.Shape = "Ball"
	end
end

sorry for my bad English

1 Like

The math looks right - I think your problem is that you are assuming that there is .05 time between each “step” of the orbiting object.

Your code is basically…

while true do
   wait(.05)
   local time1 = tick()
   --do logic that takes x amount of time to actually compute & run on the server
   local time2 = tick()
end

Total time will actually be .05 + (time2 - time1)
So your blue dots are estimating a path that is actually “faster” than the white orbiting object, and therefore the blue orbit path is closer to the center object.
I would do something like this instead…
Reference: RunService | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")

local RATE_PER_SECOND = .05

RunService.Stepped:Connect(function(time, step)
	local increment = RATE_PER_SECOND * step
    --your code, use "increment" instead of your .05 constant since it is the actual time duration
end)

Saw immediately what your problem was, you are using euler integration. Gotta update the velocity first then use that to update the position (dont use body movers) also fakeVel is +=

the orbit looks more accurate with this but the blue dot is so short even all of them inside the orbiting object

local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")
local Rate_Per_Second = 0.05

RunService.Stepped:Connect(function(times,step)
	local increment = Rate_Per_Second * step

local arah = (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Unit --distance
	local force = 20 *script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2
	script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity -= arah * force * increment/script.Parent:GetMass()

--trajectory stuff
	local fakeVel = script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity
	local fakePos = script.Parent.Position
	workspace.inst:ClearAllChildren()
	for i = 0,50,1 do
		local force = 20 *script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (fakePos - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2
		fakeVel -= dis * force * (increment)/script.Parent:GetMass()
		fakePos = fakePos + fakeVel * (increment)
		a.Position = fakePos
		a.CanCollide = false
		a.Anchored = true
		a.Material = "Neon"
		a.Shape = "Ball"
	end
end)

and if I increase the for loop to 300 the output is

I didn’t know about Euler integration :sweat_smile: I’m still in high school. I don’t get what you mean about updating velocity first I think I have already done it on my script. if the fakeVel += the output look like this
this is my script

while wait(0.05) do
	--gravity effect
	time1 = tick()
	local arah = (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Unit --distance
	local force = 10 * script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (script.Parent.Position - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2
	script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity -= arah * force * 0.05/script.Parent:GetMass()
	time2 = tick()
	--trajectory stuff
	fakeVel = script.Parent.AssemblyLinearVelocity
	fakePos = script.Parent.Position
	workspace.inst:ClearAllChildren()
	for i = 0,50,1 do
		local force = 10 * script.Parent.Parent.PartA:GetMass() * script.Parent:GetMass() / (fakePos - script.Parent.Parent.PartA.Position).Magnitude ^ 2
		fakeVel += dis * force * (0.05 + (time2-time1))/script.Parent:GetMass()
		fakePos = fakePos + fakeVel * (0.05 + (time2-time1))
		a.Position = fakePos
		a.CanCollide = false
		a.Anchored = true
		a.Material = "Neon"
		a.Shape = "Ball"
	end
end

sorry for my bad english

I’ve made a few orbital physics simulations I can link you all of them so you can “analyze” my code in a sense

Used WeTransfer cause devforum was
:face_vomiting:

https://we.tl/t-znZrgkDAk5

1 Like

I was able to do this using kepler motion, rather than calculating force/acceleration/velocity/position for each frame. Like in the video @CoderHusk posted, there will always be some noise when you process motion that way. This script can be used to determine orbital parameters beforehand, then calculate true anomaly + distance as a function of time. There will be no noise affecting the path that way.

https://www.roblox.com/library/4829401641/Orbit-Kit

Example place where this script is used:

https://www.roblox.com/games/4888188585/Newtonia

1 Like