Particles’ Flipbook Release

Hi Developers!

We’re super excited to announce the long-awaited release of the Particles’ Flipbook feature! You read that correctly; Flipbooks are out of Beta!:tada: Flipbooks is a feature on ParticleEmitters allowing you to animate particles over the course of their lifetime.

You can get all the details on how to use Flipbooks on our updated ParticleEmitters’ documentation page.

flipbooks

More texture sizes supported

Following your requests for more control over the memory footprint of your animated particles, we are loosening constraints on the Flipbooks’ texture size. You can now create Flipbook textures of any resolution that is squared and a power of two (minimum 8x8 and maximum 1024x1024). This allows you to use smaller textures than previously allowed if you desire.

Particles’ Flipbook supports the following texture sizes:

• 8x8
  • 16x16
  • 32x32
  • 64x64
  • 128x128
  • 256x256
  • 512x512
  • 1024x1024

Updated FlipbookLayout Enum

If you’ve been testing Flipbooks through Lua scripting, it’s important to note that we have changed the FlipbookLayout options naming as part of UX and design improvements to the feature. We recommend doing a search and replace pass on your scripts to update your FlipbookLayout values.

• “TwoByTwo” is now “Grid2x2”
  • “FourByFour” is now “Grid4x4”
  • “EightByEight” is now “Grid8x8”

Border clipping

Some of you have also mentioned getting issues with border clipping. This is now fixed! Although, we still recommend planning for a little spacing around your frames to avoid undesirable artifacts.

Special thanks

Flipbooks’ release was made possible with the amazing contributions of @ProfessorKJM, @ProtoValence, @wengawenga, @Infomancer, @IgnisRBX, @PixelMiner47, @RBLXImagineer, @JoshSedai and @JaapSuter. Thanks team❤️!

Please let us know if you encounter any issues with this release.
We can’t wait to see all the awesome effects you’ll create with Flipbooks! :smile::raised_hands:

368 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I’ve been waiting for this for so long, thank you so much for your work done!

13 Likes

Lets gooooo finally Thanks so much

7 Likes

LETS GOOOO, anime community is about to go crazy with this one, this was very long anticipated but worth the wait! :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Yay!! This is so exciting! It would be nice to see something like this implemented for image labels so we could have animated textures (gifs). This can already be done with a spritesheet and a lot of code but it would be nice to see an official feature!

11 Likes

I love this new feature! This will be so helpful for my games!

5 Likes

Thank you for this! been waiting for this so long to improve my game here.

5 Likes

that’s nice, it’s finally released people will get creative with it too

4 Likes

probably one of the biggest updates yet

3 Likes

Lets goo this is an awesome update thank you !!!

3 Likes

This is so awesome! The border clipping is less as well, I’ve noticed; we’ll use this on our game a lot, thank you so much.

2 Likes

long awaited release, huge W for roblox

3 Likes

finally, I’ve been waiting for this for a very long time

2 Likes

Will there be an option to disable fading between the current and next sprite?

12 Likes

This is fantastic news! This is the start of a new era! Thank you!

2 Likes

Great update! Love this, thank you for this feature.

1 Like

There is a weird visual glitch when frame fades. I think there should be an option for fading because it doesn’t always look good with cartoony sprites.

19 Likes

Been waiting forever, finally its out.
There have been some cool things you can make with flipbooks/sprite sheets and I’m super excited to see them used in actual games now

50 Likes

Woah that’s crazy. Looks like a 3D model!

3 Likes