Players not joining / average play time low?

I recently got my game into it’s beta stage and I have faced one problem: Gaining and Keeping players, When i had sponsored the user ads one time i had gotten 1.7k visits in that day alone but now that I sponsor it again (with the same ads and no change to the GFX of the game) it isn’t doing well.

Also the average playtime for my game is roughly 5-8 minutes which clearly isn’t too good.
Here is the game if you want to check it for yourself and go more in-detail: [RPG] 🛡 Realm Quest! 🛡 - Roblox

And here are the pictures of the ads:

(The code is meant to be beta not alpha my bad)

1 Like

How much are you sponsoring/advertising, and what are their CTR? In my experience, ads have a higher CTR than sponsors but give less impressions.

An average playtime of 5-8 minutes isn’t the best - and to me that indicates there’s something wrong with the new player experience. My game, for example, had an average play time of around 11 minutes and we really wanted to increase that so we sought to make the new player experience better with an update specifically crafted to increase play retention. It worked.

When I joined your game, it took forever to load. Not sure if it’s just coincidence, but my internet speed isn’t terrible and I’ve never really had that long load times in a Roblox game before. I would make a loading screen.

The first quest dialogue didn’t really tell me what to do and it took a long time for him to give me my quest.

To summarize, I would work on new player experience. First impressions are extremely important to keep players hooked.

4 Likes

It took me a while to figure out that i had to go to the weapons UI to equip/unequip the sword
I think many other players are having the same issue.

Also advertising is not the best. Ads will only show up for PC players but most Roblox players are on mobile.

I recommend to sponsor mobile/tablet instead.

It’s obviously a well-constructed game however gameplay wise can definitely improve.

• For instance, the length of time between ‘sword swings’ is too long for me. I would consider making the swords similar to old ROBLOX swords where each time you’d click, you’d be able to swing the sword rather than having to wait 1.5 seconds in between swings. This would make the game a lot faster-pace.

• A prompt to open the weapons UI to equip sword

• NPCs are able to kill each other (at times coins can be earn from this)

• NPCs (imo) should be able to detect players further away than at present

• Background music should play once the user joins in, once the sound finishes playing/user dies, background ambience can be placed instead.

Running new ads will be more beneficial, as if they see the same ad every time, they’re less likely to click it as it looks like nothing has changed or nothing new or exciting has been added.

2 Likes

I tried out the game. Thankfully I already read this thread before joining so I knew to check weapons in order to equip a weapon but I think that needs to be made more obvious. I think a core issue you have though is that progression is really boring.

The issue is I can only reliably defeat 1 of the 3 enemy types in the first level without dying and it takes a long time to get a better weapon which unfortunately does not let me reliably defeat even the second enemy type in the first area.

Right now it seems each peasant drops ~6 coins and I timed myself and I can defeat one about every 15 seconds. The second weapon costs 170 coins. This means that I’ll have to defeat ~28 peasants which should take at minimum ~ 420 seconds (28 * 15 seconds) which is equivalent to 7 minutes.

I think you need to think about doing some combination of these possible changes:

• Adjust the cost of your weapons so you can earn them faster at first or else make enemies drop more coins.
  • Buff the weapons and/or weaken the enemies reliably defeat them.

Think about how long it will take a player to earn an item. If players aren’t getting rewarded a lot at first they’re gonna get bored and leave. It’s also kinda discouraging at the moment to unlock the second weapon and think you’re gonna be able to defeat more enemies only to find you still can’t defeat the second enemies without multiple attempts.

I think you’ve got some good frameworks in place, they just need some tweaking so that player feels like they’re actually achieving something and getting somewhere instead of just spam clicking for a really long time.

2 Likes

Simple Answer. Game is too difficult, terrible level design, progression is exceptionally slow, downtime in action is too long for an RPG.

Might seem like ranting.

People don’t like negative consequences like dying that much. I only killed 3 peasants then dying after that. Waiting to regenerate health kills the action, players would have to wait 100 seconds to fully heal and get back in the action, d’ya know how boring that is? After dying three times, I tried to look for an alternative option; explore. Thinking I would see some secrets of some sort. I met with this innocent looking guy and I thought he was an NPC, so I went closer and started chasing me. I tried to survive by hiding in the castle, thinking the knights would save me. Yet they killed me. That frustrated me.

Game Progression is slow, killing a peasant only earns you a meager amount of coins, remember for a fact that I have to wait 100 seconds to regenerate to full health and get back to action, I forgot how much the next weapon cost, but I knew it wasn’t realistic to achieve in the next 10 minutes. To aim for the perfect completion time, set an intended goal. This set time will be when the game ends. Ask for game testers with ranging skill levels and time them, you can try to recreate skill levels yourself too.

Game Replayability and Retention isn’t a factor on how long the game is. It is how interesting the game is, how much replayable mechanics are introduced, and how challenging it is, etc.

You failed significantly on level design, the aspect of observation. When players are given a task, they observe, strategize, then execute. When I was playing, I wasn’t quite sure who the enemies are, so when I strategize and taking actions on my plans, THEN seeing them fail is enough to frustrate me, and argueably, all players. You need to communicate your level design well(quest design is a part of level design). Use Visual Language to communicate this well, there are alternatives, but this technique relies of less handholding and leaving the player to their instincts. Adding a simple backstory to the first NPC encounter like: “We need to kill the King and his subjects” would be enough to tell the player that everyone in the environment is an enemy. Never let players to assume things for themselves, with exceptions of course. Things need to be straight forward to resolve that problem with the confusion and remove some of the frustrations resulting from that.

You might consider adding telemetry and data collection, see where players leave, how far they progressed, and if they play again. You might set these in zones so that they give you a narrative or a hint where it might be too difficult and frustrating. Try to limit the downtimes in action, don’t bore the players by waiting, if you do want to keep some of the downtime, try to push the player into exploring. Don’t let them be bored, but there are times where downtime is used as an effect.

I don’t like to nitpick on individual things like GUI, UX, and usability, in my opinion they aren’t that helpful. Prolly not a biased statement since I am a UX designer too. Man, I like writing walls of text. I am too passionate for game design.

2 Likes

Without having played the game, I can’t say as much as the others have and my opinion may be biased because of it, but as a game developer of 16 years, i feel like i can at least offer this bit (since much was covered in the previous reply :stuck_out_tongue: )

Tldr.
Think of your favorite game. It must have been a good one if it’s your favorite. That said. Ask yourself, How did they capture your interest? What elements didn’t you like? How did they handle ‘tutorials’? What confused you? How did they get you to come back?
Asking yourself these questions should guide you in the right direction as to what a game should look like to you.

Regardless of genre or similarities, Your game should answer the concerns or lack of whatever the other game didn’t. When you have a game you’d play. Chances are. Others will want to as well.

Don’t let others discourage you with constructive critisim because it’s never meant to be simply criticism. When it’s just critcism, don’t worry about butthurt opinions :slight_smile: (i didn’t see that here but it was a learning curve for me back in the day)

Hope this was helpful :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
LiveLively
Paradigm Dinosaurs

Just remembered i hyperlinked my way to this thread. Sorry to resurrect this topic. Hopefully i am still of some help to others who stumble across it :slight_smile:

2 Likes