plugin:PromptPurchase()

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to profit from a plugin, no matter how powerful and complex it may be. This is due to the fact that the PromptPurchase() function is blocked from Studio. Rather than requesting the removal of this block, I am requesting that a version of this function is added to the plugin object.

plugin:PromptPurchase(int productId)

Edit: purchases made using this method can only be saved on the local machine.

Edit 2: With a logged-in account now being essential in order to open Studio, syncing this to the cloud would be a more viable option than before.

Additionally, a type of “developer product for plugins” would be useful as well. Perhaps a version of the developer product editor could be added to the existing plugin configuration page, and adjusted to have an option to change a product from “one-time” to “multiple” in order to fit the roles of game passes and developer products:

If this change was made, the incentive to create plugins would increase, leading to more powerful tools and software for developers to use.

8 Likes

But there’s no way to save the purchase.

1 Like

You can save the purchase with SetSetting() and GetSetting().

That doesn’t sync to the cloud though, does it?

I think it’s computer-specific. You make a good point, and I’ll edit the post to reflect this.

This seems like it would only be useful for asking developers to donate towards plugin development since plugins are open source. It would be easy for someone to just edit the source code of the plugin to remove any checks related to purchases and gain full access.

22 Likes

This would just keep the honest people honest. Of course it would be easy to cheat the system, but then again some profit is better than no profit.

With that reasoning, however, I don’t think we need this feature :blush:

3 Likes

I usually don’t mind throwing some cash to devs of useful free things, does the offsite link rule apply to plugin sources? I’m guessing it does, otherwise it’d be easy enough to just link add a paypal link or donation page to the plugin interface.

Yeah, the offsite link rule applies everywhere, they just uphold it more loosely in certain places.

There any update on this? Apologies for necrobumping by the way.

1 Like

I think the fact that Studio always has to be logged in could make this a bit more viable… I’m updating the post a bit to reflect this.

I love this feature request. I have one of the most used plugins on Roblox, and if I could monetize it, that would be amazing!

2 Likes